• I've asked this before, but did something happen, in like the last 8 years or so that made soaps stop pushing the limits? 
    • DAYS:  EJ and Will - Making EJ Bisexual or fluid with a story of these two having an affair would have been SO good. The Chemistry was there.  Will and Chad (Casey Deidrick version) - They had so much chemistry. I still remember there being a scene at the Brady Pub where Will essentially gave Chad bedroom eyes and looked like wanted to be plowed right on a table. Chill would have been way better than WilSon.  Sonny and Chad (Billy Flynn) - Freddie never had much chemistry with Chandler, but he did have it with Billy Flynn I thought.    Y&R:  Kevin and Det.Mark Harding - They had so much chemistry. Missed opportunity for sure.   
    • The thread about rumored/potential queer characters has me thinking about the stories soaps do not even attempt anymore due to fear.  The amount of storytelling opportunities that would be presented by investing in diversity would have helped all these shows, which are stuck in ruts because they try for the most generic product possible.   It is remarkable to think that on every other platform to consume media we have now- broadcast, streaming, web based, etc- a story as nuanced as Karen Wolek’s foray into sex work would never be told on daytime today.  Her self esteem issues, the blackmail, the desire for money and to feel important, the shame and guilt, her friendship with Viki, the strength of not being broken by her exposure in such a public way, the unsuitability of suburban life.  Every body else would die to tell stories like that with that talent.  But not daytime anymore.   How many times have tptb backed off of an interracial relationship?  When instead, they could have written deep storylines where these characters face the same issues they face in real life!
    • Massey sure was into the flirtatious scenes. Days should've went there instead of sticking him with dull boring Sonny.

Discuss The Soaps: Archive (2018 - 2020)

Sign in to follow this  

386 topics in this forum

• 154 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Preemptions 1 2 3 4 8

• 113 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 2 replies
  2. SOD Best & Worst 2019 1 2

• 18 replies
    • 1 reply