Y&R November 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I see the character as a bit dry and that's an acting choice. However, Mishael isn't in charge of her story, airtime, nor who she interacts with. That's not a contradiction. 

I did enjoy her part in her story with her stalker ex for the most part.  What i didn't like about it was it centering Billy and Vikki. There were so many other choices for writers other than another Newman in peril. 

Agree on this off screen origin story. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The reason is because union contracts exist. You can’t pay people like paupers because you want extras on a set.

Yes, the production in 1991 was incredible. It was also about 30 years ago, and the world of television is much different today. In ‘91, daytime profits bankrolled prime time, but that’s no longer true.

I do miss the elegance and sheer size of the sets, which have been diminished to the point of absurdity. If GH can afford larger sets, so can Y&R.

My problem with this choice of classic episode? They just ran it a few months ago. Why not run the follow-up episode instead of repeating the same one again? That made no sense to me.

• Members

I think they should look into a new studio. Likely they could find something cheaper that is also bigger. I know when AMC moved to CA, it looked really nice because you could tell they had more space. Similarly GH is watchable even when it’s bad because the sheer number of sets allows them to tell more stories and use characters in a way that isn’t boring because they all have homes and various public places to meet. 

• Members

The sets have obviously been shrunk (Chancellor house, Abbott house losing the dining room) deleted (too many to name)and created (Society/Grand Pheonix/Newman'room')to fit as many standing sets into the studio as possible.

The lack of extras in those oft use gathering spaces , even pre COVID was noticeable.

I don't understand how the budget works, but surely a few thousand a week could be found to have some customers/clients in these places.

How much did Mal spend on the Dark Horse set that was barely used?