Y&R November 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought he did a good job at playing the delusions. Well what I saw before the Biden press conference...

It’s a crime what they’ve done to Mishael Morgan. Amanda is merely a busybody without a cause, going around prying into everyone’s business. Hilary at least had real drive and an agenda. 

• Members

Agree with you about Grossman, and his scenes with Braeden after the Biden break were great. It’s worth catching online.

Have to also agree about MIshael. There’s just not enough personality there, not enough urgency. If she hadn’t played Hilary, I’d have no idea how good she can be.

• Members

Hilary was poorly written, certainly, but she was dynamic. I just want Mishael to have opportunities to show what she can do, because we all know she’s spectacularly talented, and I’m not seeing that right now. Just a blah, very limited character. Only her charisma is saving her.

• Members

Please define limited in this context? I don't think I'm following.

But, Mishael is choosing to play this character cold and stiff with dry humor because she thinks this is how a lawyer would behave.  She could infuse more life into the character if she chose. But she wants to make a clear distinction between Hilary and Amanda. 

Sometimes, I see more pizazz in her portrayal when she loses up. Even if Amanda had a clear goal/throughline and was driving story, Amanda would still be quite dry personality wise. But by no means do I think what you're seeing is the writer's fault. This is on Mishael. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

Limited in the sense that she’s not given much to do. She’s either in lawyer mode or butting her nose in Lily and Elena’s relationships. She does loosen up around Devon, but that story feels like it’s stalled.

I actually don’t feel like she’s stiff. I think she’s enlivening a character that would be totally forgettable without her natural presence.

• Members

Understand. She's definitely not driving story. And her story about seeking her parentage seems as stalled as her story with Devon for the most part. It's also off screen. 

I can't say I agree that she isn't given much do though. She regularly interacts with more folks than most characters (Billy, Lily, Elena, Nate, Phyllis, Devon). She's all over. Nobody is really doing anything so it's not just her.  

Now we are about to see her in lawyer mode with Billy. That's probably why her other stories have stalled. Josh wants her playing  supporting to Billy for some reason. 

• Members

I can't believe they are going through with a Chance/Abby wedding. This will be her second trip down the aisle and her first to Stitch was a bust that went nowhere.

Abby has had so many love interests and this romance with Chance just seemed like another one.Where is the romance and obstacles that used to be part and parcel of any genuine coupling?

What have they planned for this couple? a pregnancy story?

Using Kyle and Lola as a yardstick, expectations are low. Both of them will probably realize in 6 months that they made a mistake...

• Members

You contradict yourself. Here you blame MIshael for what we see, and a couple posts later you say the writers want her to play backup to Billy. So which is it?

I don’t know how in the hell she could infuse more life into this character AS WRITTEN. She’d come across as a lunatic.

MIshael Morgan has yet to have one exciting storyline since her return. Not one. And no, this offscreen hunt for her ancestors is not exciting.

• Members

Watching a lot of the show today because I saw what re-run it was.  Man Y&R was good then.  The Ball, the Costumes, the writing, and everyone seemed they had something to do.  For the last 2 years or so when I pretty much quit - no show has extras, the sets are empty, nothing looks like this.  I know it's happened to every show but man this episode proved it.  There was so much interaction between so many characters and the production was so good.  I had forgotten.  I don't understand why you can't get some people off the street even today and pay them $50 to be an extra at the coffee shop.  I'm sure there's a reason.