Days: October 2015 Discussion thread

• Members

I cannot imagine they would have killed Will with Chandler still there.  Even if I didn't always like him I know he was super popular and an Emmy winner that got the show positive attention.

Sonny leaving didn't help Guy for sure.

Guy sucked, they were cutting their losses, and needed an important victim.  I hope they invest in Paul.  And if they want to stay modern, one of the new teens should be LGBT.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh.

Don't feel bad for what you say. You didn't mean any malice and I think you make valid points. And Dena is a hack and the Coulson story was sh-t and offensive to a lesser extent, so it's all good. But Dena is known for devising crap that either makes you raise an eyebrow or feel offended. Take Theo's autism story (or lack thereof) for instance. IMO, she devised that story b/c it was a hot topic in the media (and her child suffers from it too so she claims), but it fell flat and went nowhere. There were tons of fans that felt that she did an injustice to that story as well. 

• Members

My suspicion is that Dena Higley is ambivalent about gay stories at best. As for Corday, I doubt he is a raging homophobe or anything, not in the world he lives in. But the fact is that DAYS has had, for many years, a very strong religious identity, especially in the Reilly years, and it sometimes connected with an audience base through that. (I suspect if the uber-religious Reilly was still alive, and I'm glad he's not, he would never, ever have executed a gay storyline of any kind without some element of self-loathing or 'secret shame.')

DAYS positioned itself for many years as the soap with a religious undercurrent. It's done a lot less of that in recent years, but I am sure that was part of the consideration when they looked at their numbers this time around and how the gay storylines affected that. That still doesn't make it acceptable. I think it was a business decision based largely on Corday's flightiness, his fear of their numbers, and yes, in part, his concern about losing that cultural identity and that segment of the shrinking and still super-conservative audience base. I don't think he's Ellen Wheeler ready to go to work for Glenn Beck (and I always had heard stories about her attitude re: the lesbian storyline on GL, dating back to it when it was on-air). I just think he's casually careless and too afraid of bucking his soap's traditionalist image.

• Members

^^^^THIS.

Oh, Stefano, what are you planning?

Caught up on the rest of the week.

I can just watch the interplay between Marlena and Sami forever. I was watching today's episode and I could not help but think...'yes, this. This is what is missing from soaps. Family interaction with all of its potential drama.' They were there for each other and yet they had so much conflict due to their history. Loved it.

Again with Eric and the drinking. And again hinting at his feelings about not being able to help Nicole with the re-emergence at Basic Black. So are they going to make Eric into an alky so that Nicole can potentially save him from himself?

RSW is definitely doing a great job. How do I know? I really, really want to hit him upside his head.

Meh on John's plot. I like that it is going somewhere and Paul is there and John had a plan, but too slow for now. C plot.

In fact, I felt that the other plots coming back felt contrive to what the A story was this week (serial killer/Will's death). The new writers have been great at having an A story so far since they came on with B/C plot side by side without it feeling...jarring(?). But this week...while great in A story...not so much with how the B and C plot moved.

Archived