Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The current discussion began began (before it spiraled into thread derailment & personal attacks) because of Devon & Hilary and viewers rightful frustration with the management of them as individual characters & a couple. The fact that Neil & CK were integrated into the discussion were natural points of discussion given they are Devon & Hilary's onscreen family, Neil's status as Hilary's ex and their collective status as actors of color on a show that limits their characters solely due to race. Fans of Devon and/or Devon and Hilary were also right to critique the ridiculous interview comments about Devon's money & relation to Katherine given that a vocal contingent of fans have ALWAYS had VERY ugly issues with Devon, Bryton as an actor, Devon being related to Katherine & Devon inheriting Katherine's money. Those statements, and the corresponding comment section below the interview, would've been enough alone to give fans of color pause. But the fact that she had no problem discussing changes in story for other characters without making such a radical change for his peers speaks volumes. It's not spurious because everyone knows one of the running jokes on this board is that viewers know when Neil/Devon/Lily/Hilary are getting a new love interest because that's literally the only function for non-recurring actors of color on Y&R.

Nobody in this thread was discussing Vicki Rowell so I dunno why you're dragging her or Dru into the current discussion.. I'd venture a reason at your motives for doing so, especially when she's far from the only veteran actor of to say the same things about their experience as actors of color in Daytime, but it's whatever at this point. It was others on this board who brought up Veronica Redd's character being named Mamie as an issue, the horrible treatment of Tonya Lee Williams, the logistics around possibly having Mamie/VR appear again & Y&R's constant failure of Latino characters & families. However asserting that the solution to decades of institutional racism can be solved by "changing one's attitude" to people of color is insulting. Especially by many of those who champion past veterans (Ellen Holly) of the same struggle as heroes with one hand while bashing and/or altogether ignoring current veterans (too many to name) for the same thing. Whether certain fans like Kristoff and/or Neil as a character it signals quite a bit (not in a good way) to a large contingent of fans that even in 2016 neither the actor or the character hasn't been afforded enough consideration for a new set or the opportunity to own his own business. An incredibly loyal, two time emmy winning, 25 year veteran has to watch as actors who haven't logged a third of his time on Y&R, be immediately afforded infinitely more opportunities than he ever has. Nobody would accept that type of behavior if it were directed toward Ric Hearst or Michael Park, but Kristoff ventures even the mildest of opinions and he's nearly fired.

Again nobody has bashed anyone for watching the current show in good faith. But no one is obligated to give Y&R as a show or the new regime a good faith period just because they slap some paint on some sets and/or throw a couple of extra episodes a month to beloved veterans. As was stated before other regimes received similar grace periods and what happened during their time on the show greatly out measured any good they did in their first six months. Nor is anyone obligated to explain why they watch to people who still enjoy the show. If it bothers some that others don't enjoy the show, that's a personal issue and this board has an ignore function to rectify that issue. Also nobody in this thread has said Y&R couldn't be 'good' again. What they have said is, they've been burned before, especially as fans of color, and believe not as much progress has been made as some would like to think.so they're adopting a hard line toward a regime who may very well have the 'best' of intentions. If that bothers some of the more 'optimistic' posters of this board, that's their problem.

• Members

Fair point, but don't keep yelling racism without offering up solutions, that's all my point was. I was simply trying to reach through to the person and I was saying what I felt I needed to, a few things were taken too far, so I'm sorry if that bothered you. They weren't engaging in a discussion and instead focused on me "attacking them" which is also unfair. Mocking as well. A lot of the responses were not necessary, on both ends. All I wanted was that person to engage in a conversation and it completely spiraled because they felt the need to be rude and abrasive. I responded in kind and that was my mistake. I should have taken the higher road.

• Members

Now you're just lying, mixed with a bunch of false equivalency.

First it's not POC's job to "fix" racism. Nor are POC obligated to stop discussing race because it makes you uncomfortable.

Second this thread was going along fine discussing, race on Y&R, race on soaps in general *AND* daily critiques of Y&R's current regime until you began demanding solutions of the oppressed & making personal attacks under the guise of tone policing.

Third now that someone else is not co-signing your behavior you're trying to act above the fray as if you didn't go out of your way to derail the whole thread in the first place.

• Members

Deedee u probably have noticed KMan is the new board moderator. Very bossy and tells people what they can and cannot post. Its absurd this person is acting liike board moderator. If you love Sally and Kay stuff gush away but dont be mad if i dont love it. I find it completely dull as dishwater nothing modern, contemporary and zero umbrella storylines.

• Members

TPTB should have given us a scene that actually showed Hilary causing Mariah to fall.  As it stands now, it's still not proven, am I right?  Isn't one of the first rules of soaps that if it doesn't happen on screen, it didn't happen?  Or was that a different era...

I'm under the assumption that the car was in a parking garage, hence no snow on the ground when Devon took off.

I liked that Ravi was fixin to make the move on Ash and Abby thought he was checking out Mariah.  A nice, organic way to introduce the characters.  Mariah "he speaks a foreign language...math" haha. I would have liked to see them end up sharing an accidental NYE kiss.

The benefit gala the last couple days has been well done.  Devon's accident should have wide ranging impacts, particularly for Mariah, Hilary and Lily.  Each of them will rightly carry guilt over what happened, I'm curious how it will play out for the rest of his family and friends.  The fade out was impactful.  

• Members

It isn't?

You didn't JUST get finished demanding solutions for "fixing" racism from me?

We're acting like if we were go back several pages (prior to you mounting your usual personal attacks) we wouldn't see a fairly well balanced discussion happening (to the point where several posters were posting about commenting about the increased traffic in the monthly Y&R thread)?

Archived