Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show looked amazing today. These folks looked rich. It's been so long since any of them truly did. Mal is doing a great job with the production. I think they've always had the budget. Jfp only wanted to spend it on her pets though. 

I like the writing for Hilary. She was humanized showing being nervous and scared of failing. Devon was sweet and charming being supportive. They're  finally getting the writing I've wanted for them but was denied for over 3 years. Thanks Sally! 

I think mariah revenge was a clever way of getting back at Hilary. I didn't even mind it too much cause Hilary deserves her comeuppance. 

But that's all I truly remember from the episode. Oh, and Chelsea and Nick were well staged. 

• Members

It's incredibly effed up that the first Latino character on this show since the last one went psycho was Mrs. Martinez serving the grown as* aryan Abbot clan. But you know, can't talk about race on this board (even though soaps are incredibly racist and this show in particular hires 90% biracial actors for their fully black characters but LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT IT).

I loved the auction, that was fun. I mean, half the people in the room are despicable but it all felt so opulent. 

Mariah has no proof that Hillary did anything so she's coming off as a real nutjob. I hope she enjoys being unemployed.

I wonder what Jack has up his sleeve. I hate Victor getting one up on him, not after the way Victor went about destroying his life. Bastard.

• Members

Is the show white-washed? Yes.

Is the show hiring mostly biracial actors a glaring shame? It is and I hate it.

Is the show in dire need of diversity? Absolutely, both in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.

Does Devon being stripped of his inheritance scream racism? No, it does not. It's a potential storyline, and it's not exactly throwing him under the bus (unlike Olivia with Brad). Devon has quite a few characters orbiting around him. You can't compare him to Abby or Summer, because the actresses and the characters are non-entities. Now, to me Devon is a complete bore and I cannot believe he's lasted so long on the show.

Does Hillary being the town pariah scream racism? No, it does not. It's a storyline to keep her on the screen. She shines when she's a villainess. 

• Members

I respect your opinion, but no, it isn't. You're making it out to be and you do it quite often. It's not always about racism. OJ was in 1994. It's 2016 and almost 2017. It's time to move on from that. Four soaps are still on the air. Soaps collapsed because they recycled the same damn writers and they recycle the same damn storylines. Soaps weren't allowed to continue progressing. Instead they've regressed.

But this is a debate that no one can win because you insist that it's racially motived. I don't believe *in this case* that it is. I'm sorry that you view everything as racially motivated.

+1

Please register in order to view this content

Loved today's episode

+1

• Members

+1

If they are doing it to have him work for newmans/abbots then keep it. If it's so he can be self made with his own publishing/media empire in 2 years then I won't hate it and will apologize to all and asunder for my valid distrust of this show. 

No, they aren't sparkling. I wish they were for the show's sake but they just aren't. 

• Members

Honestly Melissa Claire Egan should have been Victoria at this point because she could pass as Morrow's sibling and she can have some fire in her. I hate that Chelsea is so damn boring now. Two boring people like Nick and Chelsea do not make an exciting couple.

Archived