Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

And notice what she focuses on? Instead of actually discussing anything? So her attitude negates any solid points she has, and she has plenty. It's too bad she's focused on the wrong things. But she wants to solve the problems? Yeah, right. She's part of the problem with her attitude.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you implying racism in daytime is a problem Mo? Well the "solution" is easy. Ignore it and it doesn't exist!

Please register in order to view this content

And it's ironic how desperate certain posters rush to move the goalposts for Mo & ajsp35801 when we're discussing the same issues.

Nobody demands Mo or ajsp "solve" racism even though ajsp said she didn't expect SSM & Mal to treat Y&R's black characters much differently than previous regimes or that Mo just said it makes more sense that if Devon & Hilary need a "change in motivation" that it ought to stem from their backgrounds instead of stripping him of his inheritance.

But as long as said posters keep making all these unnecessary personal attacks toward me it allows them to deflect attention from the real issues and wrongly assert that "changing attitudes" is all anyone needs to do to end decades of institutionally entrenched racism.

So much for "not dragging them into this."

• Members

Again focusing on one thing, picking out something to make an issue out of. Keep doing you DeeeDee. There's clearly no longer any point in trying to converse with you but I'm sure you'll twist this as well. Fantastic discussion as always. You mentioned them, not me. I think they're both great posters with a lot to say. I felt the same about you but you keep acting like a child so there's no point.

• Members

There are only four soaps left & they're still pretending OJ is an issue so....

I'm not whining about anything. I've been having a great discussion about Y&R and its issues with several posters.

You on the other hand spent the past several pages of this thread making unnecessary personal attacks toward, and throwing childish tantrums about, me.

The fact that you & several others on this board don't like me doesn't bother me one bit. Hence why I don't feel the slightest need to attack you back.

The facts about Daytime's institutional bias speak for themselves.

• Members

I woke up to find I'm the topic of conversation. So exciting to be popular! I'm also incapable of withholding an opinion. LOL. So....

@KMan101 It's completely absurd, not to mention unfair, to expect or charge DeeDee or any person of color to solve racism in daytime. Its absolutely unreasonable. 

@deedee It doesn't make sense to continue to beat a dead horse with people who will never agree until their faces are overtly slapped with it. Bought sense is better'n any, remember. Plus, they asked folks to wait and see before judging. That's a perfectly reasonable request. It costs nothing to grant it. So, I have. 

• Members

If they require being overtly slapped in the face with it they're never going to deal it beyond the abstract.

Because there will always be an excuse. Always.

That's their problem. Not mine.

The thing is that this is the EXACT reaction many of these same people had during previous HW changes (seriously go look up how this board initially reacted to LML & MAB's tenures).

And you see how little change & how much destruction happened during those regimes.

If other viewers enjoy Y&R under the current HW's that's fine. Nobody has bashed them for that.

However no one is required to agree with them and no amount of discussion derailing, tone policing and/or personal attacks is gonna change that.

• Members

AFAIC daytime is regularly racist. Y&R has been racist, and fans are right to look at it askance if they so choose. But that's not what everyone is here to discuss day to day. From what I'm seeing so far there is a good faith effort at the moment to tell stories with these current characters. I'm down to talk about what's actually happening on the show, but I'm not going to get into endless pages of arguing over what appears to be largely spurious speculation that something might someday happen to Devon's fortune because there is no actual answer or conclusion to come to on that topic that has anything to do with the show airing this month or the actual material airing onscreen.

And I'm not going to re-litigate the last 30+ years of the show's history. We all know the stories. As for Dru, Vicky Rowell is not coming back and these days that's on both the show and Vicky Rowell. I'm here to watch the show they're making now, and if it turns bad I'll stop watching it overnight. If I like it I won't. It's as simple as that. If it doesn't make someone happy that's fair, but if you're not going to honestly engage with the show as it happens or give it a chance, then I think this is just taking up space in a thread to tell people that Y&R is not allowed to ever be considered 'good' again. And that's really not fair to the thread, nor is that up to any one of us to be the arbiter.

Archived