Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Because I don't believe that's the case here. Were you in the writer's room? (And no, neither was I). I'm not trying to be nasty but it ISN'T always about race. I wish she never said what she did. Why is it wrong for Devon to have wants and motivation? It told me she cares about his character. She never should have said "take his money away" or however she phrased it because some ran with it. We shall see what she does with it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Katherine was waiting tables too.  She also lost everything right after Phillip2 married Jill on his deathbed. Jill moved into the mansion for a nano second. 

Katherine was fighting to keep her money most of her life. Even  towards end when Tucker took CI from her. She didn't spend her time onscreen spending money. She spent her time keeping it.

Jack just became head of his family in the last decade, and he still doesn't rule over it, like Kay or Victor. Jack has to share with the other Abbotts.  Gloria lost everything after John's death.

I'm not comparing Devon to Victor because no character gets what Victor gets, none of them. He's also self-made, he didn't inherit his wealth like Jack or Kay.

Although many losses were just the company, it was made to seem like it was the bulk of their wealth.

• Members

And Nick, Abby, etc. were born INTO money. Devon wasn't, technically. Why should their money be taken away? I don't think his should be either but it's not because he's black. Prove me wrong in that and I will gladly shut up. This is coming from the woman who created a soap with a core black family.

No, it doesn't

• Members

Are we seeing Devon lose his money? No, not so far. Let's just sit back and watch the stories unfold rather than sit here going on and on about a story that has yet to be.

Gloria only had money because she married John. She really never lost anything.

We all know that there has been racist writing in soaps. Like @KMan101 said, SSM created not one, but two African American families. The Marshalls and the Jacksons were both developed over time. Give her a chance, here.  It's a new year, let's try to enjoy the show, as it's already so much better than it was under UpChuck or JFP for that matter.

• Members

LML & MAB were well liked for their first six months or so too.

Viewers kept giving them chances to fix things & the show suffered because of it.

And asserting that SSM "created two rich black families" on Generations as proof she isn't/can't be racist is like saying since Angela Bassett & Oprah are famous racism no longer exists.

• Members

Yeah, how was Lauren not there after Jack pressured her to make a HUGE donation? That was a big part of an entire episode. Perhaps, she'll arrive 'late.'

MM - stunning and elegant. And, Mariah's revenge was actually done well. Much better than I thought. I hope all the airtime MM/CG are receiving is an indication of a commitment to these characters.

I like the changes with Victor - he's still strong and rooted in 'family,' but he's not doing things that are crazy and he thinking about the impact his decision will make on his children/grandchildren - and Nikki. Much better. Ashley is getting back into Victor's orbit is a good thing. EB/ED do work well together. 

Ravi is just weird - he's the male Natalie - awkward, tech geek. Eh. He can leave.

The eviction - where exactly was B&S moving to? Did they find another space? If not, were they just going to put everything in storage and shut company down - or work from home because too proud to take space at Newman? If they had another space, they'd be obligated to that lease, despite the reversal. Also, CI is an empire - wouldn't they have some place - even temporary - for B&S? This was a bad plot point to get Jack to give into Victor and get Billy all mad at both of them.  

Oh and after the sports car, Devon is losing it all. If it leads to a meaty story for Bryton, I'm all for it. If it's just going to be a plot point with no real impact, then skip it.

• Members

I never cared for anything by MAB and never praised either. not at first, not through either tenure. I know crap from crap. Same with JFP -- core cast killer and UpChuck--the name I used for him from the minute he joined Y&R  @GMac knows that.

As for Generations, I enjoyed all of the characters on the show  Adam, Henry, Chantale (once Debbi Morgan took over. They hardly used Sharon Brown because the canvas was too full at first.) Joan Pringle and Jonelle Allen had some outstanding scenes. I scheduled my classes to make sure I could watch.

Yoiur tone is so harsh and negative. The regime has been in 3 and a half weeks. Everything you say lately has been the exact same negative post  If you have no faith, why bother watching?

I always liked your posts in the past, and I don't disagree with you about the problem at all. I just wish you could take some time and enjoy some of the good things like writing characters "in character" 

Happy New Year, I hope you can find something to be happy about in 2017

• Members

I don't get it either. I'm guessing there was a transition issue here. Maybe Pratt was ending everything B&S and maybe sending it back to Victor. But it look like the new writers have more story planned around it so they revived them and put them back in place???? 

I don't mind the turnaround. If they keep B&S as a Chancellor firm it give's Jill a chance to be involved in some business. Chancellor Industries was usually an off-screen company.

At least it was nice see Victor really care about Victoria wants. He usually says he's looking out for her but it's really his desires he is filling.

IMO marriage means ours. John entered into a legal partnership, he knew what marrying Gloria meant. When someone marries a wealthy person they aren't usually reduced to what they came in with after their spouse dies, unless they agree to that in a pre-nup. Marriage gives you the rights to inheritance as much as off spring does. Sometimes more.

Didn't Jill get 30% of Jabot in her divorce? Gloria got screwed.

Archived