Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So first they introduced a Latino character in his late 20s, then they suddenly realized they had to pair him with a white woman (because no one knew before), hence they recast him with a white actor. Meanwhile, his Latino brother was with 3 white girls over his whole stint, but that does not count because he was always a supporting character. Whatever...

• Members

Y&R dumped poor David Lago to pair Brittany with Bobby which was a huge mistake because JE worked much better with several of Y&R's older actresses.

Bobby had WAY more chemistry with MTS & Jess Walton than with LW who was already half of an established couple (Raul/Brittany) who had potential for serious longevity.

Plus if Y&R had properly utilized Enos, David Fralick, Keith Cobb, John Martin, Linden Ashby & David Hedison back then Y&R wouldn't have been forced to over rely on their existing leading men who had long become stale.

• Members

I know what you meant.

I was just pointing out that JT already had at least one onscreen relative & his parents had been firmly established as longtime members of GC's elite (even if they never appeared onscreen) so the only thing needed would've been to cast them (Billy Zabka & Maryam d'Abo would've been perfect).

• Members

Who said that?

Y&R initially had NO intention of Diego as anything more than a tertiary character. When Y&R decided the character was gonna be made a Leading man thus pairing him with the shows leading white heroines they immediately recast the character with a white actor.

His genuinely (but still light skinned) Latino brother was paired with three white girls (because there were NO actresses of color during the majority of his time on the show), was treated like a chump in all his relationships & was a loser (to white men) in ALL of those relationships and then was written off (almost immediately) once Y&R decided to pair his most enduring white love interest with ANOTHER white man.

The fact that the character & his relationships remained popular were largely due to the actors (Lago in particular) involved.

And (like Ricky before him) played by the whitest actor ever.

• Members

I am so completely invested in this Dylan story, ain't no lie.  Both SC and SBu are bringing it.

Today's show was another good one, a lot of things happening and they're all holding my interest.  Yes, I'm going to gush about MM again, she is stunning.  Hilary and Devon were given some good stuff today, their last scenes 

Please register in order to view this content

Now we know why Mariah fell...

And Ravi was less stalker today and more infatuated and it worked for me.  He and Ashley...hmm.  I don't know what MY/SS/KA has planned for him but since they're resetting the characters, would classic Ashley get involved with someone so much younger?  Not to mention her subordinate.  I don't know.  If we still had Pratt, they would have prolly already screwed and/or Ravi would be startin to go over the deep end.

Archived