Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agreed. Like others, I'd like to see Mariah/Hilary more as fre-enemies - they have a lot more in common because of their backgrounds. I'm not keen on seeing them as deathmatch rivals. And it's also creepy the writing for Devon - getting the dresses after the condo (I mean the entire building), the job/new power, etc. Devon should NOT be so desperate to have to buy Hilary's love/loyalty. It's demeaning to both characters.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The stuff Devon is doing with the home and the dresses are all romantic gestures that we have seen Newman males do for their love interest for over 30 years and it was hailed by all an asunder as the most romantic-est thing ever. Not sure why the show painted Devon doing it as something different. Especially now that despite nothing having really changed onscreen, they have Hilary having a totally different reaction today with the dresses than she did a week ago with the house. Considering her speech today, I am to assume she now feels like Devon's equal so she can see these things for what they really are...I guess...Anyway, I still think BJ and MiM work really well together despite the deficiencies in writing and little direction for either's character. Today was a prime example of that. But they are clearly headed for a big break up. Hilary has everything she has ever wanted, which means she is about to lose it all. I do like that the writing is telling us exactly what defines Hilary and what she wants out of life. Now we know what she is chasing and why she does what she does. 

I hate to say it but I am tired of Sharon and Dylan mourning this baby. I am looking forward to Dylan's exit despite my thinking that this is the best work SBu has done since he has been on the show. 

I know they are building to something with Mariah but she needed someone to talk to instead of this fantasizing and flashbacks. Seems poorly executed to me. 

But all in all, it was an enjoyable show. 

• Members

Rumors have Sharon's next story being about her father so let's hope so, because lord knows she doesn't need another love interest, it would only fuel the people who dislike her based on the writing. Sharon was never crazy or a lunatic. They made her the scapegoat and then made her crazy to get her out of the messes they put her in. I don't fall for that kind of writing. It's just too bad newer viewers only know the crazy Sharon.

I'm over the Christian story too and tired of the mourning. I think it will end once Steve Burton exits. Do we have a last airdate? However I really appreciate Noah being there for her and I like how they're writing Sharon. Haters take a seat because I recognize the woman again.

I agree about Devon buying Hillary things, both sides. But I do think it's out of love and he's trying to make her happy but she keeps accusing him of doing it to control her, which sounds ridiculous. Her ultimate point led to them having some good discussions but it seemed kind of pulled out of thin air. I liked them today and her reaction to the dresses, happy they have a home, etc. It was nice. But it was all a setup for Mariah turning the tables on her. These two grown women are so much better than this.

• Members

@KMan101 I am also glad they are writing Sharon as sane and handling this loss well. She is perfectly reasonable in her every emotion IMO. That is well done. It is time to move her past the crazy. Hilary is going to lose it all. Question is for how long? I have no doubt Sally will raise her out of the ashes.

• Members

I don't think she needs to be redeemed, as much as humbled. She's walked over some people on her way to where she has become.  I think that a little humility mixed in to make her more likable to the other characters. 

Loving that Sharon is finally being written without the "crazy pouring out". If the rumor about her father is true, it will be nice to see her in a journey of discovery. I could almost picture her search bringing Sharon and Nick back into one another's orbits. 

• Members

I quit watching Y&R during some of its recent gruesome writing/producing eras, partly because of the writing for Sharon. We all know Sharon Case can handle whatever trash writing they throw at her, but I got tired of watching her wading through those messes.

My fervent hope is that they do not reconcile her with Nick. It wears me out watching her pretend he's an adult.

Archived