Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm hopeful that SS won't turn to the psycho kind of characters. I reached my limit with Marco, which was just plain ridiculous.  I think a lot of soap writers want to do better, but the pressure of writing five episodes a week tends to wear people down. When they run out of ideas they tend to turn to various troupes. With any luck that won't happen to SS, especially if she manages to slow the pace while keeping people interested.

Every time they show Mariah remember that scene with Hillary watching her fall, I expect something more to come of it. Like Mariah is going to remember that the shoe had been tampered with or something. Otherwise WTH is the point?

• Members

The moments from Friday's preview came out much better in the show than they made it look. They amped it up for drama, but for once Nick made sense when he said they must try not to confuse Christian too much. And it played very well into that great last scene with Dylan walking off to the side then acting like he was holding a baby. And how wonderfully Sharon is handling the whole thing. I finally feel like I recognize her.

Another scene that felt like classic Y&R was how Sharon answered the door and Nikki was standing there and then we had that close up of her. And I thought it was nice that Sharon mentioned it was difficult saying goodbye to Christian but didn't say it was Dylan who felt that way -- publicly, she supported him by making it sound like she shared his opinion. They've done such a great job making Sharon/Dylan come off as a couple. SC has these little moments where she fixes Dylan's jacket or whatever, and it comes off very realistic. And how fun that she wrote a text and deleted it. You don't often see real moments like these on shows.

Once again, Jack & Hilary's friendship really worked. I didn't have a problem with the way Mariah found out the news. Devon went to GC Buzz presumably to tell her that her temporary host job is done, and that's what happened. I guess they are going with some kind of sabotage from Hilary.

Hello -- Ashley Abbott's clothes came back! lmao Even Davidson was more Ashley than Kristen. I really liked the stuff with Ravi. I didn't necessarily get a stalker vibe although I can see how it could lead to that. But I think they're playing a crush. I wonder what he had to tell her. Ashley was her typical politely cold way with Nikki. 

• Members

Definitely sure.

The difference between the Gutierrez brothers was that Raul was always the second lead of that era's teen scene so him being paired with white actresses wasn't a big deal.

However Diego was intended to be a Leading Man (which Y&R was in desperate need of in that era) so in typical Y&R fashion that meant going whiter.

• Members

JT actually did have relatives.

His aunt was around (briefly) & his parents were often referenced initially (but not seen).

The only (main) GBJ Kid who didn't receive a lot of background was Rianna but that was largely made up for during her relationship with Raul.

• Members

Exactly. Like what's the point?

Yep. Agreed.

The second Diego was recast with Greg Vaughan it was obvious they didn't care about building a family around Raul. David Lago should probably still be on the show (not sure he wanted to be, I don't remember his exit or why he left).

Archived