Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see your point, but I think having Dylan and Sharon alone served the tone of their scenes.  Their loss was palpable and that wouldn't have been the case if Noah, Mariah and Faith were in the house.  The show is trying to rehab Sharon and imo it's working.  It wasn't that long ago she was a manic mess and I didn't feel much sympathy for her. I wasn't even sure she gave cared about Christian, it seemed all about sparing Dylan, when she was the one who caused his pain by lying about the miscarriage. 

Today I genuinely felt for her and yes I even cried when Nick brought Christian in, even though I'm not sure it helps anyone heal. I think Delia's death was the last time the show really made me feel this deeply for the characters. And can't any talent-less hack make a child's death sad?  It just wouldn't have been the same if she had her other children around her.

What I thought would happen is Victor would go over to Sharon and Dylan's to invite them over for Nikki's sake, but this made more sense and I'm glad they are spreading the character rehabilitation around.

• Members

I liked the lighting in the park, too. Made the whole thing seem warm and nostalgic, and I didn't have trouble seeing anybody. The rest of the show looked great, too. These sets are designed to the death for the holidays. 

Why was Paul pushed over to the Newman ranch instead of staying with his son? I know, I know -- we had to see Sharon's and Dylan's sadness in being alone -- but it still made no sense to me. 

The he ending when Nick showed up with Christian had me crying, but production ruined the moment by IMMEDIATELY playing the next show's clips with Nick saying it was a one-time thing. Just awful timing. 

Still, all things considered, this was just great soap. In comparison, B&B was awful.

• Members

SBu was a definite JFP casting, evidenced by the way Dylan was shoe-horned into so many storylines when the character first arrived in GC.  Alas, decent writing came too late for Dylan but I think SBu probably figured SS and then KA were being brought back specifically to boost the story for veterans, in particular, you know...people who viewers genuinely associate with being Y&R. He probably assumed his character's role would be minimized (it has been in a way now that Y&R is more of an ensemble than it has been in years) but he probably hadn't calculated on Dylan actually being written better than the previous regime (he has). Anyway, he probably still assumes the character could run its course, in the long run and end up as a glorified extra. Dylan, however well written now, still doesn't feel like a vital, necessary character and Burton likely knows this.

As hokey and irritating as it would be, I could see it being written as Faith spent part of Christmas with Sharon and Dylan Off Camera, with everyone at the ranch thanking Victor for "allowing" it to happen

Please register in order to view this content

. They've been using Faith loads lately to rehabilitate Victor's character and now that she's at the 'Main House', I don't expect this to end anytime soon, but I'd sure like it to...end, and soon!

Yeah, the preview scene immediately undermined that scene with Christian, Nick, Sharon and Dylan. Poor choice of clip and also disappointing because it means they had no other choices, which means more Newman overkill on Monday.

I enjoyed grownup Orphan Annie leading members of GC citizenry in singing carols. It felt like a genuine effort to have a Christmas-y episode that made sense, instead of sticking in some one-off "special episode" of some Christmas past scenario, or Christmas future schmaltz with ghosts. This episode incorporated the holiday into situations that were already there organically. They didn't leave out, or exaggerate disputes, problems or disagreements but they also balanced the episode with characters attempting infuse some holiday cheer.

• Members

I think SB probably had a meeting with the new regime to confirm his suspicions -- he saw the writing on the wall for Dylan -- they confirmed and he quit. Knowing a bit of the actor's history, he strikes me as someone with a bit of an ego, but that's just my speculation.

• Members

Can someone fill me in - the housekeeper...they've mentioned her before but I don't remember if they mentioned her by name...I think they had (The Abbott's).  They showed her (I don't remember them showing her)....I guess great for trying to create new relationships if I've missed something.  But when she saw Traci and Ashley dancing in the living room she said something like, "Oh you're DANCING just like you USED TO!"    Has she been seen on camera before?  I didn't watch from the very late 90's/early 2000's  until 3 or 4 years ago.  But the line didn't make sense to me...Mamie was their housekeeper and is the one we assume saw them grow up. 

Billy wished her and her kids a Merry Christmas...and it made me think...are they going to introduce her kids as characters??...kind of like they did with Mamie's relatives/the Barbers?  I have trouble remembering but Drucilla and Olivia were -- were they Mamie's daughters or were they nieces? 

• Members

Mrs.Martinez has been referred to for years.   She has been on  back in the early 2000s portrayed by actress  Linda Dangcil.

Now that they have been focusing on family, Margarita Franco started appearing. 

I hope they bring in a family member for the younger set. At least it would give a little variety to the show.

• Members

I have no issue with Mrs Martinez but don't make it sound like that stereotyped character - completely with an insulting accent -  watched Traci and Ashley grow up. And Billy wasn't around post-Mamie - he was in boarding school - an integral part of Billy/Jill relationship. For writers who supposedly know Y&R, they are making many unforced mistakes since the first episode. 

Funny how Gloria knew about Jack/Billy with Phyllis, but not that Chloe was back in town. Much less spending time with Kevin. 

Jill greeting the Lame clan at park like it was first time she saw them despite being at Hevon party a couple of hours earlier. Very sloppy. 

Archived