Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the same show that made Devon a millionaire and gave Devon & Hillary a glorious penthouse.

I'm not sure you noticed, but the writing has been poor for pretty much every character for a while now.

I've tried hard to avoid the subject for years, but I need to get this off my chest very politely: your tone is abrasive. You speak like you know it all and that is really annoying. I have blocked you but it is not easy to avoid your posts when everyone is quoting you. So please keep stating your opinions (I actually agree with many of them) but please stop belittling other people's opinions with things like "You guys wear blinders", "If you disagree it's your problem" and such. It's offensive and it does not make for a healthy conversation. Peace.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

But Mo didn't you know people of color WANT to be poor! If they're given money they didn't work for those greedy blacks should be punished!

Nick & Chelsea seemed wealthy? Time to strip them of their inheritance!

• Members

I think the show is doing a solid job of a very swift clean-up and turnaround, but the real test will be the all-new storylines in the new year.

But rather than bickering I guess a better question for everyone is what they think would indicate a substantial commitment to changing the color narrative at Y&R, which I absolutely agree historically exists? Excluding rehiring Victoria Rowell, because unfortunately she has made it a near-certainty that is never, ever going to happen.

• Members

I havent watched YR consistently in 7 to 10 years but I figured Id give it a chance since Sallys interview was good, but JFC its time to transition. I realize she was given crap on a plate to come into...and I too kept saying to myself well it has only been 2 weeks...its only been 3 weeks, but it will be a month next week and nothing is happening. A friggin trip is driving the whole show! Its beyond lame.

And when the trip isnt driving the show it is the bore that is Nick. Or Jack's eviction being pointless in the end. 

Day to day its watchable and I do applaud that most characters minus Billy are seeming better and more like themselves. The writing and Jason Thomson write/play Billy like he is a super smug arse and is one of Vics kids. Meh. 

And no Devon should not have to lose his money to have to find a drive for something. While I do not think it would be racist, it would certainly not do any favors to daytimes atrocious image when it comes to minority characters, Plus that just has plot driven mess written all over it. 

• Members

It's ironic that the focus is on what Devon is perceived not to have "earned" when this soap is filled with legacy kids just like him. The only reason Lily isn't treated the same way is because she's a whitewashed broodmare with no career goals.

Also the Barber/Winters were/are almost in the same boat onscreen as the Chancellors but nobody acts like the B/W absence means they're being erased because their limited representation is supposed to be of color.

It's also ironic that the show is content for Neil to work for other characters & remain in that terrible condo when actors who have been on Y&R a lot longer have huge sets of their own.

• Members

That's the truth and you notice how said person avoids actually answering or addressing anything? It's frustrating especially when I agree with them on so much as well. Oh well.

And as to Vee's question, soaps could use a lot more writers of color. Executive producers of color and directors of color. I don't know the race makeup of every soap but I imagine that most, if not all, are white. When have we had a black executive producer of a daytime soap? A black head writer? I think that would go a long way. But then again, gay men can't write for gay men and women seem unable to write for women, so I don't know if having more black people running things would solve the problem either.

• Members

Funny how "said person" directly addressed that lame attempt at a bait post from that "other" poster several pages back which they avoided answering or addressing. OH WELL.

Please register in order to view this content

I see we've reached the "more black people behind the camera wouldn't necessarily make a difference" derailment. Hilarious.

• Members

I believe Devon & Hillary should be workaholics so they won't end up where they use to be. Also they wouldn't need to have an affair to break them up.

They could make them a version of Beyonce & JZ. They came from nothing & I'm sure they don't want to go back.

Come on, you mean this Lily career goals was only to mate with white guys. & she can't even mate with a rich white guy.

• Members

And you continue to prove my point. Just stop.

Since you seem to have designated yourself the resident expert, what would you do? Continue to avoid the discussion by replying with sarcasm and nastiness?

You also seem like you'd rather whine and bitch about a problem without actually doing a thing to solve it. So again, just stop, because trust me, we all know where you stand on this issue.

• Members

I'll be as mature as you are I mean, what are you, 12?

You keep proving the point.

At least ajsp35801 and MoTheGreat are respectful and contribute to the discussion, don't drag them into this. All you do is whine and that's the damned truth. But you're the expert on racism in daytime, huh? Again, yes you'd rather cry racism instead of doing something about it because then you'd have nothing to bitch about.

Archived