Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

Sort of. Occasionally, one character can make me like the other more when they are paired, but the actors and characters have to have that certain something. I'll use the example of Nick. I like him more with both Sharon and Phyllis. I think all three characters have screen presence, but I don't really like Nick all that much.

What I mean is natural within the history of the show and the characters. When they start contorting things just to make the couple of the day work better, it annoys me more often than not. B&B is pretty famous for this. Like Katie getting annoyed at Bill's drinking out of nowhere, just to make her seem like more of a shrew in comparison to Brooke.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's because this is a new team at the forefront. I definitely think this has been the worst Y&R has ever been. I include LML and MAB when I say that. I think that JFP's era will go down in history as the worst and most destructive, which is definitely saying something. In fact, I feel it might even be considered one of the worst soap eras of all time, based on what we've seen so far. Just crazy to think that they hired someone with such a bad track record for Y&R is crazy. Everybody was raving about Angelica McDaniel, but she is obviously just more of the same.

• Members

This is just too depressing. Y&R is in trouble, and not only do I not think things will change anytime soon, but I don't think anyone could (or would know even where to begin) if they had the opportunity or the power to do so.

• Members

No Y and R was the worst under MAB. Does Angelina ring a bell, or all the miscast soap vets, horrible stories and just a complete mess. JFPs show is very dark but she has consistently in all categories been up in all ratings week after week and that's all sony cares about.

• Members

You shouldn't do a story like this unless all the key people are available. You know Kate Linder would kill for a story like this, but they aren't interested in her. Also if you show Jill and Esther, you highlight that they're killing someone close to (and named after) Katherine so soon after her death. It's so insulting to Jeanne Cooper's legacy that they truly gave her a 2-3 episode send off and thats it. DAYS brought back like 10 cast members in meaningful roles and celebrated Frances Reid for MONTHS and even over a year she was impacting story. Jeanne Cooper was basically the star of Y&R and she got scraps.

• Members

I get it...If it is a character I love and they are paired with someone I am indifferent to (and I think it will get them good air time), I would be all for and excited about it. But there is nothing that will make me support a pairing where someone I love is paired with someone I loathe.

I understand what you mean by natural...when they have people acting out of character or doing things not line with the character history. For example, Victoria and Billy...and Victoria's quest for a child and writing children's books...I just don't see the Victoria Newman that I have known since 1991 doing this.

• Members

I figure that they are going to replace the grieving grandparents role that should be Esther and Jill, with Victor and Nikki. Must be why they had Delia calling Victor "grandpa". Any writer worth the name should know that the first person a woman who has lost her only child would call is her own mother....especially when she and the only daughter actually lives with her mother.

Archived