Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

I disagree to a minor extent because if the product looks & sounds right I'm at least somewhat more forgiving to the writing. That's why I liked some of the previous writer/producer combos a lot better. What we are seeing is the most generic and DATED show I have ever seen. You could show 90s episode of Another World or early 2000 episodes of GH you had basically the same music and montages garbage, same look and even recycled storylines. But as you said; it mostly comes down to a SONY mandate to make this show look UNLIKE Y&R. Which is astounding as it is #1 and the rest was cancelled or still is on the brink of being cancelled after JFP had her magic done...

Add someone at CBS who as posiitve spirited as she is has confessed she NEVER saw Y&R prior to her job and therefore has zero idea what Y&R SHOULD BE and WAS and you have a recipe for disaster. Barbara Bloom was a major hack b*tch herself but at least had some knowledge about Y&R as a brand.

That said; I'll now be watching this week's episodes. Time to prove me wrong dear writers and producers. I don't think they will though.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great to see you on this thread and read your balanced take and Voice of Reason!

Seriously, though, a lof of people here (DF, Sheila forever most recently) have been bending over backwards to analyse current Y&R objectively, to look for the good andnot just the bad. At the end of the day, though, you can only go on feeling, on your gut, and for many of us, Y&R doesn't feel right. It feels fake. It feels like it is masquerading as something else. It feels like it is trying to be another show.

And any criticism that JFP is getting about her production technique is entirely warranted IMO. It is not misogyny to say that the EP who has always sold herself on her taste, her visual and musical talents, could make Y&R look and sound so mediocre. I have never seen so many muddy, pond-green colours on my screen (the glare of which makes the actors look tired and sickly). I have never seen so many sets look so warehouse-ish. The music (apart from the magnificent Nadia's Theme) is offensively generic. Only wardrobe appears to have improved somewhat -- JW hasn't looked this put together since the Jack Smith days.

• Members

As I haven't written anything positive in a Y&R thread in quite a while, I'll say that the Delia memorial episode was VERY good. The acting was spot on - minus LIz Hendricksen with whose cold acting I have a problem with - and the writing was really solid. Nice character moments such as Esther and Jill acknoledging Kay and John Abbott passing the torch onto Jack (BTW: This would be a GREAT end for GhostJohn...) and some good lines. It can be so easy. I could even tolerate Chelsea and Anita.

I wil not comment on anything else from last week as this shall be a positive note. LOL

• Members

I hope you're not feeling bad for expressing a very well founded concern on the state of Y&R. When a show is bad, it's bad. I don't understand this sudden demand that we PRAISE something, whatever that may be, just as long as we stop complaining about the fact that this show is at the bottom of the bottom.

• Members

I don't think anyone is demanding that you like something you clearly don't. The point is that if someone wants to be positive, let them.

I would love nothing more than for Craptini to gone from GH, but I won't tell someone else to shove it for being positive.

Some want to believe that YR will improve. With Jean Passante, I highly doubt it, but I lose nothing by someone else's enthusiasm.

• Members

Thank you for the response, but I disagree with you. :)

It is a demand, in the form of repetitive, continuous, almost troll-like posts with the same message: Material I haven't yet seen is edgy, wonderful, romantic, controversial, etc, etc, etc. That cannot be denied because it is part of public record right here on this board. Do you see how that is more delusional and less positive?

If, instead, what I saw was posts like Sheila's, who commented on something they liked or expressions of HOPE for future material (once or twice, not countless, obsessive posts) then I could say that THAT is positivity and would love to see more. What's going on here is not being positive, which is the whole problem.

• Members

Actually if u are discussing my posts they are pointing out the direction I am seeing young and restless go in. Right now no storyline has more comments, buzz or talk then Delia's death. I need to recogonize the fabulous performances I am seeing and give props to Ms. Altman for taking this story by storm and churning out compelling television. If u don't like reading these posts u can always ignore them.

Archived