Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

With Kay, the actress died, and I just don't see the need to recast an 86 year old when there are more stories that can come from her death because of all of the characters she's interacted with and was related to.

It's not the deaths, which are not that many, it's the storytelling or lack thereof.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was Kay, Carmine (his murder mystery is another big, terrible storyline) and then Delia who also had a cancer scare and almost died a few months ago. It's just so much darkness, not to mention how repetitive it is. Kay's death was mostly pointless and will have no impact on the show. They could've done so much more with her and they wouldn't have needed to kill Delia off. This was just the cheapest of soap stunts for a temporary ratings boost and for some Emmys. There is no solid story in place. I laugh when I see people tweeting about how they've clearly been planning this story for a year. That is nonsense. If that was the case they wouldn't known Connor could get corneas from anyone, any age and that it isn't life threatening or time sensitive. It's obvious this was thrown together at the last minute.

• Members

If this had been planned for a year, we would have seen Delia all over the place. She would have actually been shown with Reid or the Abbots. A personal relationship with each person and her would have been cultivated. She and Faith could have actually been friends on screen. This was clearly unplanned as you said. If it was planned then these writers are incompetent.

• Members

What about the fact that this is an exact copy of Jake's death on GH? What about the fact that they JUST did this story with the same set of characters on Y&R? Colleen, the Abbott heir was sacrificed so Victor Newman could have her heart. And before that Cassie, another child was killed off (in a story that actually worked). The show doesn't need a third dead kid story. And this isn't even including all of the recent miscarriages, including Adam burning Ashley's fetus in the fireplace. It's just getting ridiculous.

• Members

There have been death after death, miscarriages after miscarriages, murder after murder on Y&R for the past 8 years and they have done nothing for the show in the long term imo, cept make the show very dark and depressing. We had kay die, Phyllis in a coma, Dylan and Nick lose children they thought was theirs, Carmine murder and now Delia's death, seems a bit much.

And yeah JFP did this same exact story on GH. And if they killed Delia off jst to give Villy a blood child, then that is foul

• Members

Colleen died 4 years ago so they didn't JUST do that story on Y&R. There are a lot of similarities to Jake's death but Jake's death didn't nearly get as much focus. I don't recall as much lead up or focus on the aftermath.

How is a miscarriage the same thing as killing off a child? Just about every year there's a miscarriage on all of the soaps.

• Members

Four years is not a long time to repeat the same story with the same two families. That further proves my point that this wasn't necessary. Cassie's death still resonates for a reason. Colleen's death, like Delia's, was done for a short-term ratings gain and will be forgotten, just like Colleen, so they can repeat it again. In all of Traci's returns they do nothing with the fact that she's lost a child. Hell, she wasn't even center to her own daughter dying.

• Members

ChrisB what I am noticing is story is finally showing up on screen something honestly while u think josh griffith is talented his y and r put me to sleep it was so boring. I felt like all year I watching dialogue and scenes without compelling story. Shelley has integrated real story into the show showcasing history and vets but keeping u want to tune in. JG was fired in August so she has to man the ship solo until jean started last week. She has tons of experience I mean she was at oltl from 1998 JFP hired her then till about 2011 and then was at GH for about two years until she joined y and r. Tons of experience in the biz and now she is getting a chance to head writer. It's no easy task.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't care if you told me Shelly Altman has been in the business since "The Romance of Helen Trent." Nothing about her track record suggests (to me) that she is capable of writing for a show like Y&R.

Archived