Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

The Talk" Scores it Third Largest Weekly Audience and Matches its Series High in Women 25-54

THE YOUNG AND The Restless, the #1 daytime drama, delivered its largest weekly audience in nearly two years, while The Talk earned its third-largest audience and matched its series high in women 25-54, according to Nielsen live plus same day ratings for the week ending Oct. 27.

THE YOUNG AND The Restless averaged 4.92 million viewers, up +3% over last week and its biggest weekly audience since the week ending Feb 3, 2012. In key women demographics, it averaged 1.9/12 in women 25-54 and 1.3/09 in women 18-49. THE YOUNG AND The Restless ranked as daytime's #1 program in women 25-54 and women 18-49.

The Talk averaged 2.74 million viewers, up +3% over last week and its third-best viewers total ever, just behind two weeks in September. In women 25-54, The Talk averaged 1.2/07, up +20% from last week and matching its series best.

This is from www.tvbythenumbers.com

Wowsa looks like JFP is laughing her way to the ratings bank her highest viewership yet as exec producer. She did this on oltl. Almost 5 million viewes tuned in. It's Shelley Altman deserves massive praise for this with her edgy umbrella storyline. Jill loves the publicity she gets really and she ain't going nowhere.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is cassidine Shelley has been co head writer with josh since march 2013. Sure josh had a part in this but he's been gone almost three months. It was tweaked and the writing I am noticing is much more edgy umbrella story then I saw josh wrote. I think josh is a talented writer lived his early stuff on oltl but it was clear he and Jill didn't mix in y and r very well the show was dull. Jill and Shelley clearly more in sync. U have to give the woman credit.

• Members

The thing is this is why JFP has lasted 40 years in biz with zero unemployment she plays the game, loves the fans publicity hating her and she ain't going anywhere soon. This bitch is something else fans revolting threatening to quit and she gets stellar ratings.

• Members

It was reported all through the soap press and I think JFP stated it, this is Griffith's story we are seeing, whether its true or not is debatable. The underline part I agree with, which is prolly why he quit.

It was reported all through the soap press and I think JFP stated it, this is Griffith's story we are seeing, whether its true or not is debatable. The underline part I agree with, which is prolly why he quit.

• Members

It hit a high the week before. 5 million near is stellar in this daytime climate. U realize y and r has better viewership then some primetime shows. JFP ain't go anywhere. It's like everyone in 1999 had a petition getting rid of her at oltl she brought ratings spike through 99 and 00 she went gunning for Wendy riches job and got her fired so she could get GH which she had for 11 years. She nabbed y and r from a bell lol this woman is the teflon queen.

• Members

I thought briefly about why it appeared this thread was becoming fractious. Then it dawned on me reading through the last few pages. We have a poster (or two) being optimistic about the show's future, championing the new team, who I don't believe we have seen their material realised on screen. And that's good, as long as there is caution and realism attached to that optimism.

I'm inclined to believe we are seeing tweaks of Josh Griffith's outline (I say outline because there appears to be more than a little Jill Farren Phelps influence) diverting stories slightly in order to position it all for when Jean Passanante arrives (in the credits), so I'm not sure we can completely laud Shelley Altman for everything we're seeing. Or barrack, depending on your view.

On the other hand, we have posters who are products of the saying 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me'. The aforementioned Executive Producer (as with most and with most writers, Aaron Sorkin springs to mind) has her own style, a bag-o-tricks that she turns to. For example, UK producer Paul Marquess has a 'shock, sex and (almost sleazy IMO) scandal' style that has followed him from Brookside to The Bill to Footballer's Wives to Hollyoaks. It is what he is known for. You know what you get with him but he also brings an initial rating's spike. The spike inivariably breaks down when it all gets too much for the viewer.

What I'm saying is with this new team, it will take time and a noticeable shift in quality for people to be won around. They have a lot convincing to do, especially Jill Farren Phelps and Jean Passanante, who's track records are polarising. Whether in the name of positivity or being contrary, trying to change people's minds before they've seen for themselves won't garner the most ideal response.

Perhaps it's more to do with the fact that I haven't been 'exposed' to the traits of any of the trio, but I'm adopting a 'wait and see' approach to all of this. I'm hopeful others are as well.

Oh, and one more thing, I'm still not best pleased with the un-Y&R production ticks (camera work, editing and especially the music) on the show. It feels like a the cast of a big West End production being plonked in my local community centre as bingo is being called in the next room. No matter how good the acting is, it just doesn't feel like the real thing. Only my opinion, though. The ratings would seem to indicate that something is working for now.

Plus, I may be reading things the wrong way, but is there an underlining taunting of posters regarding Phelps being EP, a kind of 'crow/say all you want, she's going nowhere'? I would hope not.

• Members

Jill Farren Phelps lasted at GH for 10 years and even as the ratings tanked, she was safe. The only reason I think she was finally fired was because of budget, Brian Frons' exit and the fact that ABC knew that Carlivati/Valentini had brought the ratings for OLTL up, while bringing the budget down. I think she'll be at Y&R long after Jean and Shelley are replaced. She's going to be there until they absolutely HAVE to replace her. Soaps love her, despite her track record, but in her defense she HAS had successful tenures (like GL, mostly). Jean Passanante, on the other hand, has not had one successful HW tenure in her career. Nelson Branco mentioned a good point when revisiting Michael Fairman's interview with Shelley Altman--every partnership she's mentioned working with JFP on either got a soap canceled or led them in that direction. Hell, her last HW stint (at GH) was the final nail in the coffin for JFP at GH. The show was DREADFUL and the ratings reflected that.

Archived