Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The abbott scenes today at the dining room table were so Y and R. Kudos to Shelley Altman for writing those great family scenes and how poignant this storyline. Killing Delia off has been so sad but the acting and twists and turns the story is taking. Y and R had a very flat boring year but there is a level of family history I haven't seen in ages.

• Members

Exactly which is why I hate the Newmans being the central family. They are so cold and rarely do interact unless there is tension. When I think of central families, I like to think about the Hughes, the Bauers, the Corys, the Matthews, the Frames--families that had dysfunction but still had warm moments. I can't remember a warm Newman family moment. Possibly the early '00s was the last time. After '05, they became so dark and malicious.

I guess this is part of the reason why I've been fine with a new family or even a past family (the Foster-Brooks clan) to come back and edge the Newman clan out. Victor, Victoria, Nikki, Adam, and Nick can go. I'm fine with keeping Sharon, Noah, and Faith.

• Members

I loved the Abbott scenes today. It would have been nice to see Jill there too. The Abbotts are just a stronger more family oriented group to me. They always seem to pull together in times of crisis and that's why I prefer them. We don't see these kinds of scenes with the Newmans. This is why I've always preferred the Abbotts.

• Members

She was an absolute bitch to Jack for months so it was refreshing to see her finally reach out to that family. Jack, Traci and Abby have been nothing but gracious to her for the past few months.

As for the Newman family for awhile Victor was treating his dog better than the rest of his family. They don't even try to humanize him via the dog anymore either.

• Members

Exactly. If these characters were still written IN character, I could picture Jack answering the door and sardonically asking Jill what she's doing there. Jill would walk in, saying "What do you think?" and Jack would shut up and grin because, ultimately, she is part of the family. She and Traci would exchange polite hellos and Jill would proceed to try to run the meeting, asking what they're going to do, while Jack would tell her to hold her horses or something equally Jack-ish. Or at least that sounds good in my head laugh.png

• Members

Doesn't just sound good in your head, it sounds good on paper and it sounds good in my view as well. I'd just add that if Ashley were there she'd be the only one in the room to side with Jill's opinion, knowing that she's often right. THAT is how an Abbott family scene should be constructed and it is such piss poor writing that the characters who should be interacting aren't.

• Members

biggrin.png Absolutely. You just know Ashley would throw Jill a couple of shady looks, but she'd grudgingly agree. Jack would keep throwing jabs at Jill, at which point Traci's mouth would drop and she would "scold" Jack. Ashley would respond: "Traci's right, Jack. We're here to talk about Billy" or whatever. Jack would apologize. Jill would gloat and then go back to mourning. They would get on with the topic at hand.

Y&R was so good, these scenes write themselves. There's not even any effort. The relationships and dynamics so well defined, whole sequences are born of them. I fear the show is so bad it's not only that characters who should be interacting aren't. It's the fact that, even if they did, they wouldn't interact the way they ought to.

And now I am sad about this show all over again.

• Members

Nope. This storyline hasn't got my attention at all. It is cheap and easy paint by numbers kill off a child for Sweeps that the audience didn't really give a damn about writing.

And they were hardly phenomenal or classic Abbott family scenes for the very reasons YRBB and I have pointed out.

• Members

Uh, it waas alright, but it wasnt all that LOL. Wouldnt these scenes still be JGs and SAs, since you stated Passante's material doesnt start til december?

Anywho, LOL @ some fans biotching that Sharon should be involved in the Delia story since Nick gets to comfort Billy, Sharon should be able to do the same for Chloe snce she too lost a daughter.......uh r these people watching the smae show LOL! Chloe has Traci amd Ashley, not Sharon who to this day aint dealing with the deathn of her daughter to well!

Archived