Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sensing a recurring motif of rushed, thrown together stories where the writers expect some miraculous payoff with lazy, incompetently written setup.

Up next, Nikki and her suddenly discovered son and the supposedly overwhelming emotional respnose that reveal will bring about...NOT!

Y&R is using the killing off of a child as a lazy shortcut to try to pull on the audience's heartstrings only, they're so far removed from reality that they fail to realize that this tactic tends to alienate large segments of the viewing audience.

For me, it's just lazy, short-cut, cliched writing.

• Members

The only worthwhile thing for me is that Hilary is not leaving and won't be paired with Neil. Thank you soap gods. It seems lily will get a rival after all even though they are not sisters. No way will she be okay with Neil having a relationship with Hilary. I am sure he will be all Neil and protective over her. Loving that. Just don't pair her with Kevin or a newbie...then again, I saw her give Stitch the eye and he is Dyllan's best friend so he will probably get a lot of airtime...scratch that last part about newbies. Just don't pair her with Kevin.

• Members

I'm not championing either Shelly or Jean, who I've seen in action numerous times and wasn't impressed any time, until they show me the receipts. Josh, Maria, Lynn Marie--all of them promised us the world, promised us classic YR and didn't deliver. Same script (or spiel being sold), different writer.

All I'm saying is show us the receipts, Shelly, and the mass will eat crow. Until then, her speech is all white noise.

• Members

That interview is a load of sh*t and anyone who thinks otherwise is an absolute moron. The following exchange is typical public relations consultant crafted nonsense. She couldn't name a single core difference between Y&R and another soap. Her answer could apply to any soap, in any decade, on any network. What a load of tripe.

"MICHAEL:

What in your opinion is the core difference of writing a show like The Young and the Restless, that sets it apart from the other soaps you have worked on?

SHELLY:

What I appreciate and like about Y&R is that sense of families and the anchors around which everything else evolves. I find its a very romantic show traditional in that sense and yet up-to-date current in story. I appreciate that sense of honoring its own legacy and taking it into the present."

• Members

U know what daytime fan u should have more optimism what I am reading is she totally gets what y and r is classic and traditional but current. IMO nothing could be worse than maria arena bells y and r which was horrid. These are soap writers that have been in the biz a long time. Just wait until their material hits the air and then if it isn't up to par then criticize.

• Members

As quick as Hilary was added to the intro, I figured she'd be staying awhile despite her terrible story. I'm glad that it sounds like she's gonna let go her anger towards Neil and start mingling with other folks. A rivalry with Lily doesn't interest me but I'm sure Lily will pout about Neil and Hilary being cool with each other. I do wonder what that random scene where Hilary bumps into Stitch was about. It sounds like TPTB got plans for him as well but his offscreen wife and kid hinders him and I'm not for his fam coming to town.

• Members

Jonnysbro,

Why should we be optimistic when soaps haven't churned out good drama consistently since the 90s? And these writers being in the industry for a long time is the major issue *coughs* Your precious Jean Passasalami *coughs* Like I said earlier, show us the receipts and we'll eat crow; however, Jean has a track record and you clearly keep ignoring it. She's a shi++y writer. Sorry. And Shelly (as I said earlier too) is stating what every regime since Lynn has said. False promises and probably won't deliver. As some stated, Shelly couldn't even mention what separates YR from other soaps, hence why people are already convinced she won't deliver. You have to know the essence of a show, what makes it click. She didn't mention that YR has always been a strong, psychological drama and might not even grasp that, making her helm already start off wrong.

Archived