Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

Lily in general doesn't interest me but I have always wanted to love that character...here is hoping that Hilary can help me do that. As for Hilary and Stitch possibilities. I agree that his off screen family does hinder him romantically. But I think there could be a good story with that. Distance usually puts a strain on relationships...they could play that aspect up as he befriends and falls for Hilary. Then let his wife and child come to town to throw a wrench in it.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMBO at "show the receipts"...so true.

I am waiting on just one new writer for Y&R to truly get back to basics. And by that I mean business stories. I think JG tried. He really did. We saw more of business sets and people working his one year than we did the majority of MAB's tenure. Give these people legitimate reasons to interact. They would seem less fickle and flighty that way...like really, how many times can people mistakenly bump into each other. Right now, someone like Hilary has no reasons to interact with anyone on canvas other than her stalking the Winters family. That is so limiting. If they were insistent on telling this story about Neil, it could have been done so much better. Bringing her in as Cane's assistant would have been fine if they weren't so isolated. If there were other people working at CI then she would know many characters, probably have a friendship that happened organically, and have a blooming real romantic relationship on top of her seduction of Cane to hurt Lily. And having these relationships could have humanized her somewhat. We could see her doing something other than being vindictive and then there would be some payoff when she was caught. But as things stands, this has been one poorly written, barely shown story. And her getting caught had zero pay off. Zero.

• Members

I don't know what world you're living in but I can assure you it isn't reality. Passante and Altman know nothing of Y&R and not one word of what either have said in interviews has made any unique comment about the program.

You live in whatever deluded state you choose to, on whatever 'thrill ride' you think they're going to give you.

I will remain in reality where Y&R's fate was sealed long ago. A fate where the show is well and truly in the toilet and spinning down the cistern.

Your insistence that people be optimistic when we have endured nearly a decade of destruction on this show is ludicrous and speaks to your state of being far more than it does any of ours.

• Members

Everyone in the industry thought veteran soap scribe Leah Laiman had lost her marbles when she gladly took over as head writer of NBC's scrappy serial Another World last summer. To say the job is cursed is a classic understatement; no fewer than 10 individuals have held the position since 1992, and rumors of cancellation have been circulating for almost a decade.

Laiman didn't sit back and take the critical lumps being lobbed her way, quickly throwing herself into her work and creating one of the most talked-about (and damn confusing!) stories in recent soap history: Lumina. We're not sure what it all means, but it's certainly interesting, and the show appears to be on the right track. Rather than being labled the final nail in AW's coffin, Laiman might be remembered as the crowbar that opened the coffin to let the show breathe again. Jonathan Reiner

Did you have any particular concerns when taking this job? Another World has been on its last legs for years!

No, I didn't even think about that. I don't worry about the future in that way. I'm happy doing what I'm doing when I'm doing it. Also, I just love being "off," so I'm one of those people who is never unhappy when I'm fired. The downside is you're fired; the upside is you have all this time to enjoy the rest of your life!

Seriously, everything just came together at the right time. I have to say quite truthfully that when I took the job at Another World, I was not absolutely certain about how I'd feel about it. I knew I really wanted to sink my teeth into something. I was at the point where I really wanted to take on something that I could have a vision for. I started the work, and I started getting into it, and now, I have to say, I have not had this much fun since my peak years on Days of Our Lives, and you know how long ago that was.

It was a decade ago.

Exactly! My daughter is 11, and we left Los Angeles when she was a baby. I'm having such a wonderful time and I love this show, love what I'm doing, and I love the way it's coming out. It's this wonderful symbiotic relationship with the producer, and my co-head writer (Jean Passanante), whom I adore. She is probably the smartest writer I've ever worked with. The circumstances of this job are just fantastic.

An old interview from Leah back in the late 90s on another world when she and Leah had the massive umbrella lumina story. She, Jean and Shelly are Besties on facebook

Archived