Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHocNgkS-M

Everyone watch this scene of Dorian on OLTL the final part of the hit and run storyline of Jessica's baby. Phenom performance by Robin Strasser but it was very JFP primetime production style. This was August 1999 aired. Jill is crafting a similar storyline at Y&R with probably the same denonemont. The hit and run storyline of Delia. What do you think of this clip? Do u see it ending this way on Y&R?

• Members

I totally agree. Shelly Altman has as much business head writing Y&R as JFP does. They don't know the show. They claim they do, but it's a generic understanding based on the countless other soaps they worked on. I'm beginning to feel no one "gets" Y&R expect the writers and EPs who worked and trained with Bill Bell. I think bringing in Jean Passanante is adding insult to injury.

• Members

You're delusional. There's nothing in the interview that points to a "massive exciting umbrella story." All we get from Altman are more platitudes: I'm a soap fan, I see the characters as real people, I talk to myself when I'm writing the characters because I'm so into them, yada, yada, yada. Is this supposed to be reassuring??? I want to hear how she grasps the history of the characters, how she's studied Bill Bell's version of Y&R, that she understands Y&R isn't about exploding cars and big sweeps stunts, but about emotionally moving, psychological stories. I want to hear her say she won't be JFP's minion the way Jean Passanante was Chris Goutman's, and that she'll tell her stories not Jill's. But nothing in this interview gives me confidence in Altman (or Passanante) because I don't think Altman has any confidence in her own ability to write this show. She may survive in the co-head chair by doing exactly what JFP tells her to do and write, but survive will be it. She won't take it to new heights, creatively or in the ratings. CBS and Sony needed to make a bold move in selecting the next head writer, but they chose to protect their own behinds instead. The result will be more misguided stories and further ratings erosion.

• Members

Putting aside this Altman interview and the fact Y&R has turned into Generic Soap written by Biffa Frons's favourite writers, I have been catching up on last week's episodes and... I am about to praise them. There is some Bell-style writing going on, what with the focus on Billy slowly unraveling, switching to Adam coming to terms with his guilt while debating whether to hide the truth or confess. There is a lot of slow tension being drawn out. I know this is JFP's big Emmy-bait set-piece, but some of the scenes have been nuanced enough not to become total scenery-chewing vehicles for Y&R's most notorious wood-chompers.

The only one who didn't really get the memo was Liz Hendricksen, and even then, you can understand a mother losing her daughter and going batshit. I didn't like Chloe when she was telling Esther about Delia, though. She reverted to the usual Chloe snark-snark roll-eyes, God mom, you're such a pain! default template that dominated during MAB's tenure. I hate flippant Chloe. Kate Linder, by contrast, did good work.

The best acting in all this -- I can't believe I am going to write this! -- has been Amelia Heinle. I cannot believe CrackToria is delivering the best, most realistic and naturalistic performance of the show. I buy her grief completely, in a way that I can't quite buy LH's. And she has been perfect as supporting -- she hasn't made any of her scenes about Me Me Me Me.

Finally, I love Sharon Case. She is playing Sharon as nuts but with moments of relatability and lucidity.

Nice to see Alex BTW. Raowwwwwwwl.

• Members

Honestly, I've been very disappointed. I had two days off so I watched the entire month of October (to date) and it fell flat. The combination of characters was incredibly dull to me. I've seen soap deaths on soaps I didn't regularly watch and I was more affected. With this, I kept wondering if I hadn't reached the episode people were raving about, but once Delia's body was removed from the hospital, I realized that was it.

I hope the ratings continue to drop because this new vision for Y&R is the worst. Absolutely 100% Fronsian with the writing. I didn't see anything Bell-esque about it. Everything here was on the surface and was telegraphed in a very generic, stunt-storytelling way. Even Colleen's death had more heart than this, no pun intended.

Another problem I had with this month is that beyond this storyline, there is nothing positive going on. The show has become so dark, like the JFP GH days. There is no light or comedy to balance things out. The Fenmore-Baldwin's are in a murder mystery for a character nobody cares about (which means they're isolated) and Dylan/Nikki's story is dark, depressing and boring as well. The show just isn't entertaining at all.

• Members

Yeah, Y&R is not warm and fuzzy, but dayum, give me something! There is no romance for a couple of any age, there is no young storyline, there are no solid business storylines, there are no entertaining villains. Everything is on the same dark depressing level. Whenever I see any combination of Dylan, Avery, Chelsea, Adam, Kevin and Chloe I just want to scream. Actually, I need to include Victoria and Billy as well. Each of that characters is so fricking boring and the actors are so dull, especially together and they seem to be the shows A-team. I just can't with Y&R.

• Members

What's good news is jean said look for her writing to show up around Christmas episodes on twitter. Perfect opportunity that Jean gets to write the Christmas episodes and gave us EPIC family interactions, romance and everything we love about the holiday.

• Members

Can you or somebody please tell me what epic romance Passante has created in the past.

I am sure Passant is writing some of what we are seeing now as is SA.

Judging by the Nov Sweeps previews, nothing epic or romantic is looming, just continuing "Griffith" stories.

Archived