Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is not even about step parents. I have the best step mother in the world who helped raise me. And her family treats me just like they treat my brother and sister. So my issue is not step parent bias. It is the constant push and propping of anything Newman over anyone else...even when it makes zero sense. This is a story that Victoria and the Newman's should take a back seat in but they are not.. they seem front and center. And it is tiring.

• Members

Sorry to play the doomsday card here but the new regime already has me on the edge of seat.... to quit.

Billy is nothing but obnoxious, Chloe is annoying, Kevin is only interesting when bad or with Chavez, Victoria does not even qualify as a character. So why are they frontburer exactly?

Oh wait, there is Dullon who's the new center piece of Genoa City and combines all of this into one character. Sheesh! Kill them NOW and try sth. differnt because this is not cutting it. Where's JILL and why is there no real business action in Genoa City anymore?

• Members

So you think Kevin should take a back seat in this story too, right? No one should be featured as grieving but Billy and Chloe? As if Delia never interracted with anyone else on Y&R? As if no one else on Y&R loved her? wacko.png

I am just bracing myself for the tongue lashing Billy is going to get from Victor. I could not loathe TGVN any more than I do and I just hate it when writers make my viewing time extremely unpleasant day after day after day.

I also dread what Sara Bibel has predicted: http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/10/11/deep-soap-yr-could-use-some-general-hospital-style-levity/

I am looking forward to seeing how Nikki fits into Delia's accident. And I am very happy that she is Dylan's biological mother.

• Members

Sara Bibel is certainly correct when she says that JFP's signature style is dark and gloomy. She perfectly pinned down why this show isn't working. They're using a good number of the cast, but everything is so dark and depressing. EVERYTHING. Not only that, but the stories are all tired soap cliches. I can't believe all of this was signed off on. Dylan's entire existance, Chelsea hiding the baby from Adam, Nikki's MS and missing son, Phyllis in a coma, Katherine's death and now this with Delia. Even the blogger story, which could be fun, it incredibly dark. JFP is the type that has a heavy stamp on writing, hence this being a repeat of a previous GH story. I'm sure these new writers are coming in with the mandate to do more of the same. I believe what we've currently been seeing is JFP/Shelley Altman as HWs. I think Josh Griffith's stuff has been long gone, with the exception of his outlines. They wouldn't be jumping into such a major story a week before the new writers officially take over. This is already a representation of what they do.

I'm going to try and keep watching, but this is looking worse than MAB or LML.

• Members

I don't care if it's too dark (which it is...) or bright and yellow, I cannot stand 90% of the characters driving story and the stories itself are not compelling.

And there is definitely a change of material ever since the will reading of Katherine regardless of what the credits show. The only leftover material is probably the Hillary stuff and Connor story.

• Members

The 'new romantic hot couple' is obviously Dylan adjacent and look how well that's going. Failure.

The 'new family' hasn't worked on Y&R since Bill Bell brought on the Abbotts and Newmans in the early 80s...failure.

A huge umbrella storyline would have to involve the business angle of Y&R, but that's been shafted for a solid 10 years now...another failure.

• Members

I really only saw two episodes this week but I honestly believe it's not even about whether the show is too 'dark' or how much romance is or isn't included--at this point it may not even be about specific characters (there are a couple of exceptions, people I'd love to see sidelined or given a long term absence) or lack of business story lines.

I really think the writing just isn't there:

A story may start off promising, only to take a nosedive, either because the writers are too timid to take the story to it's limit or by falling back on old soap tropes that are beyond tired.

Timing of stories are off or lacking entirely, storyline executions either stall or are hastily rushed to conclusion, always with an unsatisfying ending.

Characters are written with no direction or particular purpose. Their circumstances meander along or change out of the blue without warning (e.g. Nikki's MS, Sharon's Bi-Polar) and no attention to detail seems to be paid.

The writing just seems sloppy, unfocused and at times, even indifferent as if written by people who are burnt out or flustered for ideas.

With these storylines, I don't even think Meryl Streep or Denzel Washington could make it more compelling (okay, a bit more compelling for a brief period of timetongue.png )

This is just the way it appears to me.

Archived