Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get out of here with that Sally Sussman Morina nonsense - only Jamey Giddens and Nelson Branco have been spreading that sh!t like wildfire, and somehow people are now led to believe because of that, she's a talented writer - she's not.

Sussman Morina was and still is a mediocre writer at best. Her ideas from her last consulting stint at the show (mainly in Sheila's crap return storyline and the poison necklace) were absurd and frankly crap. There's a reason why Bill Bell never rehired her after she left and her own creation (Generations) flopped.

• Members

+1. I just think that the entire family is dead weight at this point. If the Newmans are going to lead and be THE lead family, then I think it is time to give them another family as a rival. The Abbots have run their course. There is nothing left for them or Jabot. Either promote the Winters or Baldwin/Fishers to their number one rival (I think that would be good drama considering both Michael and Neil have worked for and been totally loyal to Victor) or bring in a family from the past (Brooks or Prentiss would work because older viewers would know them and newer viewers don't care about newbies).

Tracy and Abby could stay. Tracy is still a fresh character because she has not had much in 20 years...and no one has done a thing with Abby. But all the rest can go. Billy, Ashley, Kyle, and most importantly Jack can go.

• Members

Sally Sussman hasn't head written a soap since the late 90's. Shes out of the game. Kay Alden actually on Shelley Altman's facebook wished her good luck and if she needed anything. I think it would be smart if Alden came on as a consultant maybe. Jack Smith is at B&B. Jean has been in biz for a long time. So lets before we prejudge wait and see the material first. Excitement, romance and intrigue are Jean and Shelley's speciality. U all said Shelley and Tracey don't have much head writing experience. Either did Ron Carlivati in 2007 when he was promoted at OLTL and look what happaned there. Have faith and our Y&R will be the best it can be. The ratings are solid, the show needs work but its not horrific as it was under Maria's tenure.

• Members

Traci could be a valuable on-contract character. I've been LOVING her interactions with Abby and Jack. I always find that I want more, but one thing Josh Griffith got right was Traci. She's not just the fat, sweet sister. She actually has personality now.

• Members

I'm sorry but with Jean, we can prejudge. She's been in the soap game for over two decades and the ONLY time I've enjoyed her was ATWT '05--the only year I've seen her put in work. Other than that, Jean has been lazy and hot garbage.

And yes, Ron started out OK on OLTL but we all saw how that ended. He's doing it on GH now. He's technically a one trick pony. If anything, I would've used Harding Lemay, Nancy Curlee, Henry Slesar, or Pam Long as a better example for first time head writers.

Shelley might need to remain in CONSTANT contact with Kay for this to be a successful writing reign because Jean + Jill + their histories (that repeat themselves) = DISASTER.

Archived