Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the thing with this Delia story. I see no reason to kill this little tyke off. She is Billy Abbott's daughter, Jill Abbott's granddaughter and (probably) Kay Chancellor was her godmother. This kid is lifetime legacy. Plus she's sweet and acts well with both YaddaYaddaYaddaMeMeME (aka Liz Hendricksen) and Billy Waca!Waca! Miller.

Connor OTOH? Connor is the kid of Chelsea, a character the show seems desperate to Make Happen even though she was conceived in half a second by MAB. She has no particularly interesting personality traits, nor is she tied to any major core families. Frankly, I enjoy watching Dylan McAvoy more than Chelsea, and that's saying something.

Yes, I know Connor is Adam's kid, but Adam doesn't deserve to have a kid. Not yet. In the Eye For an Eye/Karmic Justice world of soaps, Adam could afford to lose another child after the hell he put Ashley, Sharon and their two babies through. Later down the line they can wish a kid on him.

Having said all that, I have to give props to JFP at the production and direction of this SL. It took me many scenes to realize this is all being filmed on location, so unobtrusive was it. This is a good thing. Usually soaps bend over backwards to show us OMG you guys! We're filming OUTSIDE!!!!!! Nothing much really happens and you wonder what was the point. Not here. Here it has been seamless, from the shots of Adam listening to music in the car, to Delia rolling down the car window to talk to her dad, to Dash running out into the road, to the close-up on Adam's Wisconsin license plate.

Billy Miler has been doing an excellent job. It is not often I write that.

• Members

Even worse than the fact that they're killing off another child--and another Abbott, but this same exact story has been done before! Colleen was killed in an accident and her heart was given to Victor, so not only is this a tired soap story, but it's already been done recently on Y&R involving the same two families (with the same family losing/winning). How is this good storytelling in anyway? Not only that, but they JUST killed off Katherine Chancellor and now they're basically killing off another Chancellor. Esther is not blood related, but may as well be and now that same group of characters has to deal with another huge loss. It's ridiculous storytelling. I won't praise any part of it, the acting, direction or anything. It's not terrible, but typical of these writers. I should've known when I saw Katherine get a generic two-day send off that it was just your typical "dead of the month."

I expect many more deaths when they want an Emmy or some buzz.

• Members

One of jeans classic stories on Amc was the Becca/Scott romance it was nearly like Jenny and Greg and it helped introduce greenlee who jean created and Leo. They became a mega super couple. She's had emotional stories such as Gillian's death on Amc and Jennifer munsons death on ATwt. These deaths made u wanna weep.

• Members

Oh, it is typical Emmy bait -- probably one major reason why JFP was hired. The only problem is that we have cottoned onto her methods in putting these kind of episodes together so, no matter how heartfelt and moving they can be, at the back of our minds we know that they have been produced with a particular agenda in mind. It can interfere with our own cathartic 'enjoyment' of the story.

And you hit on a wider problem with Y&R right now which is that everything seems very generic. Paint-by-numbers. Like, the other day, Paul and Nikki had a scene where Nikki was stressed about going up to her newfound-son and spilling the beans about his paternity. Paul was all "I can't think of a kinder, more selfless person than you" blah blah, and all I could think was What? Don't get me wrong, I adore MTS and adore Nikki Newman. She is passionate, insecure, snobby, diva, loving, fiery, all these awesome traits in a soap character. But selfless and kind? Not always.

It summed up to me how the current PTB (even Josh Griffith who claims to be a Y&R insider, who knows the show like the back of his hand -- although I believe his knowledge of Y&R 'history' begins and ends with LML's ruinous tenure) just DO NOT understand this show, or its characters. They are happiest dealing with stock soap characters. In this instance, Nikki is the long-suffering matriarch. Villy are The Couple. Dylan-Chelsea-Adam is The Triangle. Sharon is The Crazy. Why bother looking up some of the history and understanding why these characters were created and what their history is about when you can just write a stock story for them?

And I may have to take back some of my previous post praising this Sweeps event. I am watching Billy huddle over Delia's body in the road, and he is flashing to what Delia would be like as a teenager, college grad, bride and new mom. I appreciate the work Miller is doing playing dad to about three different actresses, but I can't fully connect to all these different Delias I haven't met before. I want to connect with the material so badly because Y&R is going out and doing something a little 'special.' There were moments when I teared up but still, at the back of my mind, I just can't get past that what the episode is trying to make up for in style, it is losing in substance.

• Members

I def would NEVER put AMCs Jenny/Greg in the same sentence as Becca/Scott who were hardly classic let alone a romance as Becca was moved from Scott quickly to Leo and both those romances failed LOL!

JOHNNY you are def going way overbpard on this Passante hype imo.

• Members

I think at this point it's Billy's story because this is ultimately his fault. Chloe didn't want the dog and I can't imagine she would have left DeeDee alone in that car. I'm not really saying he did anything wrong, but this character has been known to be reckless and I think some people will blame him for his daughter's death. Chloe will get her reaction scenes and I'm going to guess that she is going to blame Billy 100% for this. It would be more interesting if Victoria did too, but I bet she won't.

Is it really possible that Adam hit her? It seems like you would feel it, if you hit a child.

Archived