Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Members

B&B had Kay Alden, Jack Smith, Michael Minnis, Rex Best...all Y&R castaways, writing the Spencer family into the show. And not for nothing, but the Spencers weren't a "new" family in the strict sense given that Bill Spencer Sr (Michael Storm), Caroline/Karen Spencer (Joanna Johnson) and Margo Lynley Spencer (Lauren Koslow) all started on B&B's first episode, so B&B got smart and brought back a rejuvenated generation of Spencers to transition the Forresters into a lesser role with the exits of Ronn Moss, Susan Flannery and Jacqueline Wood.

Y&R could do the same with the Fosters or the Brooks families...but not with writers who never knew them. They'd have to use the same B&B team of writers to transition in and that just isn't happening at Y&R, a show that was once the most streamlined production has become the most dysfunctional show in daytime.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Introducing new families (or bringing back old ones) won't make a difference if the writing is crap.

Most of Y&R's current stories aren't failing because they're dark they are failing because the characters are acting way OOC.

It's short sighted, sweeps driven, plot point writing that is killing Y&R.

• Members

Exactly. It's not like the Spencer family was "new" to the B&B canvas so a great deal of history there. Moreover, the casting of DD as Dollar Bill and the corresponding Hope/Liam/Steffy triangle brought the family integrated the family naturally. Throw in Heather Tom and BOOM. I only wish Liam hadn't been written so wishy-washy. However, bringing on Wyatt played by another magnetic actor, makes you want to watch the Spencers. It really has been amazing what B&B has done. It reminds me of exactly how Y&R did it with the Abbots and Newmans in the 1980s.

Y&R also is hampered in that there are so many "vets" spread around the canvas. Are you really going to cut the Fenmores - Lauren, Michael and Jill? The Newmans - untouchable. The Abbots - barely hanging on - but they won't go there. The Curtis' - nope. The Chancellors are on the chopping block now that Katherine is gone. It's really a mess - we love our vets, but in this case the RIGHT new blood could give the show a lift, but it's going to take a lot of work. I just don't enjoy watching on the (now) rare occasions I tune in.

• Members

Given how useless most of the Spencers are (the only one I care about is Liam - Karen is barely around and is apparently being recast, which means I won't care at all without Joanna Johnson), it's kind of pathetic that Y&R can't even meet that.

• Members

Yes to the idea of Foster/Brooks clan coming back and taking over. From reading synopsis & seeing clips on YT, I love the dynamic of the original families and be open to them returning and becoming the center again. I've always felt in recent years, it could've/should've been done numerous times.

First time was when Liz Foster was killed and Snapper came back. They could've did a special episode with the Foster kids and brought back the Prentiss/Brooks half to attend the funeral. Jill could've been reacquainted with old friends and this could've slowly the introduction--the younger Brooks/Prentiss/Foster kids wanting to move to Genoa City--their family roots. IMO, this is when Maria should've brought back Chuckie and cast Sean Patrick Flannery in the role instead of being cast as that vet doctor, who's name I can't remember.

Jill and Josh could've did the same with Steve Burton--making him Brooks. With Jack owning Newman at that time SB arrived, have Brooks slither in and take Newman from Jack, again a nod to history as Victor took Prentiss Industries near the time he arrived in GC.

Could happen NOW with the whole Chancellor ordeal. Cast Brooks, have him slither in, and take Chancellor from Victor. Then have that open the door for a new generation to the original core .

In both cases, long time fans would've cared for the characters already, it'd be a nod to history, and the characters would be a writer's wet dream--a character with preexisting ties to the show but a blank canvas.

I'd love for Brooks, Jennifer, Chuckie, and potential children of Peggy, Leslie/Lucas (had they remarried after their departures), Chris/Snapper, or Lorie/Lance to come on. I'd love for Lorie to have had 4 daughters (3 with Lance & 1 with Max, again a nod as Lorie wasn't a biological Brooks) and they come on similar to the original Brooks sisters. One devious and wild like Lorie. One timid and sensitive like Leslie. The other two sweet and virginal like Peggy & Chris.

Question to everyone, if someone sensible was to being the three families back with a newer generation. . . .

What characters would you want? What actors would you want to see in the role? Their love interests? Etc.?

• Members

Actually Delia has limited interactions with Victor (that time when she was sick and the writers didn't want him to look heartless) and Nikki (I don't remember them every interacting). So I am wondering why them finding out is included in spoilers. She spent more time around Gloria,, Esther, Kevin, etc. I am not suggesting that no one on Y&R loved her. But I just dislike them doing what they writers usually do and making it all about the Newmans...as opposed to who would really matter. The loss of Delia should not be heavily focused on the Newmans. Sorry. It just shouldn't. I can see Adam getting focus because he thinks that he hit her. But Victor and all the negative talk that he will give Billy, I could do without. Who gives a darn what he thinks!

Definitely my issue. I don't like nor care to like 95% of the people being featured.

Chloe hasn't really been featured as anything but Chelsea's talk to because Chelsea has no other ties to canvas that are adults to interact with.

• Members

For me the point is that it is believable that billy would EVER have his daughter call Victor grandpa or want her to work at Newman, let alone dream it, now let's all wait patiently for Vicky to be preggers with Delia's replac.......I mean lil sis.

Archived