Y&R Discussion Thread October 2013

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Delia will basically be dead next week. The writing is on the wall. In other Y&R news, Eva Longoria is having a big event at the hotel I work at. I usually don't get excited when we have celebrity guests, but having a soap star was exciting. I must say I was very disappointed. I don't know why I expected more, but she's not very friendly.

• Members

Right...i do not buy this as what Billy would want. Secondly, whoever thinks that Chloe is Never around when Billy is with Delia is delusional. Billy and Chloe ALWAYS celebrate Delia's birthday together. And most of the time they show Delia with Billy it is to give Chloe and him a reason to talk...it is a scene of her dropping Delia off. Victoria is rarely around that child.

I also agree that the writers want to finally give Victoria a child with Billy. And for some reason, those in charge felt like Delia was in the way. Also the reason why Reid can't live with her. Also the reason Chelsea had to give her child up for adoption because she had no money when she could have been getting child support from a millionaire. Y&R is very conservative on these issues and the writers always have a hard time writing blended, nontraditional families.

• Members

Unfortunately some fans have contributed to this perception. People often complaining that '...if so and so leaves, so do I..." may be one of the examples that drive that thinking.

I can understand someone saying '...this show blows, I'm out...' but because of one character?! That I don't understand. I remember in the late 80s, a bunch of my favorite characters on ATWT left (although back then, they were more likely to go away for a few years and return for brief periods of time). I didn't like it, of course, but the writing was still so good that I wanted to keep watching.

I never once considered not watching because of characters leaving, even though they were some of my favorites.

I did however stop watching during periods when I found the show not worth my time because of the poorly written episodes.

If Sara Bibel thinks, like some, that MAB was better, then I'd say she was laboring under the delusion of what Steve Wonder might call a 'Past Time Paradise'. The way it never was. To me, 90% of what MAB wrote was terrible but she happened to write more action into the storylines. JG didn't have much going on but was much less offensive. Yes JG has been bad, but by virtue of time, MAB has been bad over a longer period of time.

And Y&R has been so bad for a period of years, I think people who were hopeful about Y&R turning around for the better have recently been losing patience and are now expressing their frustration and impatience as well as doubts that things will get any better.

• Members

While this is true, Y&R blew it when its longtime writing team, assembled by Bill Bell, begin to leave Y&R. Those writers, most of whom are still around (mainly on the B&B writing staff), might be lured back to fix this sinking ship, but CBS, Sony and Phelps won't let that happen. It would shine a spotlight on the horrendous decisions made by people who don't get this show and never will. Bringing in more GH writers won't help. Y&R is a soap unto itself. Phelps is so far in over her head, yet she refuses to step away, somehow thinking she'll save the miserable reputation she's made for herself as a multi-show killer. Y&R at present is a dark, unwatchable show. Jean P. and Shelly Altman as co-heads doesn't bode well. JP has no history with Y&R and SA has a little more than a year. They're hardly the ones to use Y&R's rich history to dig this show out of the ditch. Phelps will try with sweeps' stunts. It was her stock and trade at GH and the other now canceled soaps she once helmed. But more viewers will continue to view the once venerable Y&R less and less. As for B&B reviving the Spencers so successfully, they did it carefully and with the right (re)casting. Brad Bell deserves kudos for using the same formula for accomplishing this that his dad did when shifting to the Abbotts and the Newmans, and away from the Brooks and Fosters. Few soaps have been able to pull this kind of thing off. I'd shudder to think how Phelps would handle it at Y&R.

• Members

I didn't mention Y&R to her, the problem was just how weird she acted in general. At check-in she kept her sunglasses on and just dismissed everyone while she made out with her boyfriend. She just seemed very into herself and not friendly. Nobody was screaming or mobbing her either. I wouldn't say she was rude or a total diva, just not very sociable unless she knew you. The other actress there from Devious Maids were much nicer. Judy Reyes was an absolute doll.

Archived