As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm watching some old episodes again (1999 this time) and I'm obsessed with Peter Parros. I never realized he was on ATWT for so long (9 years!). TPTB really did him so dirty. I know his character is Mr. goody two-shoes but you need to have those too... And don't get me started on his body yet they never really bothered to show it off... A crime!

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was just listening to a YT interview with Justin Deas, who seems to be feeling good, and did you know that he rarely auditioned for roles?!! Betty Rae called him & cast him & she had seen him in something. And, at one show he once did a 90 page monologue?!! It was a stunt! Before his soap career, which he accidentally fell into basically, he mostly did theatre, especially lots & lots of Shakespeare. He was at Juilliard. His family moved a lot when he was growing up. He went to 11 different public schools. I think I went to 12. Made a joke that Deas was Margaret's "alternate" name & told how she hated him when she first met him when they put them together at ATWT. He seemed to think that she thought he was pretty much an idiot. Said he wasn't good at anything & his mother was worried about him & began taking him to plays. He became fascinated at the idea that you could "be somebody else, not yourself." At one point his life goal was to appear onstage at the Guthrie. He managed that a long time ago! He was in one show & the Lead told him he was doomed to always be just a Supporting Actor, so he quit. ATWT was just happenstance & completely because of Betty Rea. She told him he was an amazing actor & she spoiled him terribly. You could tell he loved that. Margaret, though, in the same time period, said, Great? No, you're average. That cracks me up! He talked complimentary about Larry Bryggman, Scott Bryce, JFP who he thought brought him on SB and was behind the 90 page thing which started out to have an episode where he as Keith did all of the lines for the whole show. They wouldn't let them do it, though. Fiona Hutchison, Marj Dusay, Ron Raines. Apparently near the end of Marj's life her 4 leading men from GL took turns going to see her. I love that! She was pretty sick for a pretty long time. He said each of his GL leading ladies was fabulous! Marj got onto him because he wouldn't watch the show because he didn't want to see himself. She asked him how he was ever going to improve if he didn't watch himself. That made sense to him & she scored a point! He said he wasn't surprised that GL came to an end because he knew how expensive it was to produce a soap every day compared to, for example, reality programming. He said he always felt like they made a movie every day. (Tony Geary said that about GH!)

I did not know that Betty Rea did casting for ATWT. I thought she was just GL.  Did she do both?

• Members

A simple google search or search of youtube credits of early 80's ATWT will easily show that Betty Rea was casting both ATWT and GL for a time.

And just to correct the misinformation that Justin Deas was almost given a whole episode of dialogue on SB - wrong. Justin was talking about when he was on GL as Buzz. Not surprising. He took over that show. 

Thanks Carl.  I'm really liking this, Dee. Very different from Jacqueline Schultz's Dee. This episode doesn't feel as stodgy as the 79/80 episodes felt. There's a low-key undercurrent that runs through this episode. Which i found engrossing. Love that they used Chuck Mangione's 'Feels So Good'. In Beau and Melinda's scenes.  It's great to see more of Joyce and Melinda.

Edited by victoria foxton