As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Having Bob move towards Kim would have made sense at that point. It played onto history and tightened the canvas with Bob/Kim becoming 'parents' to Frannie, Andy, Tom, Betsy - the next generation.

Nancy may not have found that coupling suitable in her eyes. I'm sure it would perturb Lisa and John would have been livid. So a lot of possibilities then. Ellen/David would have an opinion etc

So quite a bit of story could come from this pairing. Bob and or Kim could back off due to general Oakdalian concern/disapproval. Only a few years later the decision was made to put them together anyway.

We would have avoided the awful Bob/Miranda and Kim/Nick marriages.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I can understand why they paired Kim with Nick and Bob with Lyla, which is a smart thing to do to introduce two new characters and families and tie them to the core. The problem was..Nick was a d*ck and they were never invested in Bob and Lyla...(the first actress was a harder, stronger Lyla and then they recast with younger Anne Sward and she became softer and the focus moved to Margo..) I think a Bob/Kim thing at that time would have been good...with Lisa at odds with Grant, she and Bob move closer but he still has feelings for Kim, but the guilt from what happened before stops him, then its a Joyce/Grant/Lisa/Bob/Kim thing. Lisa would have a rival that she actually liked for once, Kim could move away from Bob from her guilt (so a Nick could come in here) which maybe Lisa gets a bit of her old self back and seeds the guilt in both Bob and Kim, this could go on for a while until Lisa gets distracted with some rich new guy, and the end result is Bob and Kim.

• Members

Much better than what they went with!

From TV Guide Jan 21st 1995

Lisa Miller Hughes Eldridge Shea Colman McColl Mitchell—the unsinkable diva played by Eileen Fulton on As the World Turns—will say “I do” for the seventh time next week. But on the eve of her wedding to Eduardo Gri- maldi (Nicolas Coster), she is going to discover, much to her horror, that her son Tom (Scott Holmes) has gone behind her back and presented the groom- to-be with a prenuptial agreement.

Says Fulton: “Гvе done this show since 1960, and Lisa’s never even heard the word ‘prenuptial’! Half the plots—and most of her money—wouldn’t have been possible.” (Ironically, Lisa struck it rich thanks to Hubby No. 2 —John Eldridge—who was also played by Coster some 29 years ago.) In real life, the 61-year- old Fulton, who’s been married three times, is quite savvy about this stuff: “I had a prenuptial agreement drawn up for my last husband—but the marriage was over before his signature had a chance to dry.”

• Members

If you look at the show in the Marland years or later on and you're a pair of new eyes, you just assume Bob and Kim have been together forever. It's beyond me how they kept them apart so long when the social mores of the '70s continued changing and after Dan Stewart was dead. We've often said Susan Bedsow Horgan doesn't get enough credit for her work on various soaps, but IIRC it was her stroke of genius to finally re-pair them and marry them off pre-Marland, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members

Recast...yes. I see a tough guy who made his own way...kind of rough around the edges..disdainful of the Hughes, likes Johnny D...Lisa and he love each other but bicker...they tried to do all of those things with Whit but it failed due to the actor and writers just using him when James was busy.

• Members

Did Whit have issues the Hughes? From what I've read or little I've seen, they've always had him fixated on his hatred for Steve or Margo. 

Furthermore, that is one episode of ATWT I am still itching to see--the murder of Whit. I've watched the trial, but I am surprised no one has posted earlier episodes from that era. 

• Members

He had issues with Bob and his son ran against Tom for D.A. and also was the prosecutor for Dee during John's "murder" trial (as dumb as it was to have a murder trial with no corpse...this was really good and the Dobson's best work on the show.) But you have to understand Chris and Nancy were obscured so Wagner left, and then the put poor DM on recurring to just disappear so Bob and Tom were the only Hughes in town.

The day Whit was murdered was the day Fulton came back to the show to discover his body, or as Fulton said, "I came back to trip over ole' dead Whit!"  It would be interesting to see again. The show was really good and fun then, the real Lisa returned to prance around town in big hats and furs dramatically looking for the murderer of her husband and trying to help and but her nose into her step kids lives,  annoying Whit bit the dust, Kim and Bob were moving towards each other and the return of Nancy and Chris coming..all more lighthearted, fun and admittedly campy and free wheeling then Marland would do (not a critique on DM.)

• Members

I did not realize there was such tense dynamic between everyone in the Hughes blended family. I would've just assumed that everything fell into place once Bob and Kim married as they all knew each other for a long time. And who would've thought Lisa of all people would've been a smidge jealous! I'm hoping to find more episodes from this era on Youtube!

And Steve...

Please register in order to view this content

Not shocked at him being peeved that Betsy helped him get out of debt. I try and wrap my head around why he was so popular with the audience. He was so damn brutish all the time. 

• Members

Great actor, wrong part.  And the timing for his character was bad because headwriter Doug Marland passed away before he could guide the Royce multiple personality story to its natural conclusion.  Between Neal's untimely death and the anti-climactic way Lucinda discovered Neal and Royce were her half-siblings, the storyline kept missing the mark.  And, while beautiful, the actress playing Emily (Royce's love interest) never generated any heat with her male co-stars.  That being said, Royce eventually left the canvas to focus on his emotional healing AND to spare Emily any future hurt that she was certainly destined to experience by being married to him.

• Members

Given the fact that Bob and Lisa were married, have a son and we knew that Lisa had lingering regrets about her part in the demise of the marriage, it actually made perfect sense. From a dramatic P.O.V. it was great to see Lisa wrestle with her love and loyalty to Kim and feeling generally protective of Bob and Kim’s relationship, yet viewing Bob as sort of the “one who got away”. You would see these brief flashes that provided a glimpse into this at unexpected moments. Especially when Lisa was going through menopause at the same time Kim was pregnant with Chris, Eileen did some great work in that storyline.