• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

On 10/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, MarlandFan said:

Great actor, wrong part.  And the timing for his character was bad because headwriter Doug Marland passed away before he could guide the Royce multiple personality story to its natural conclusion.  Between Neal's untimely death and the anti-climactic way Lucinda discovered Neal and Royce were her half-siblings, the storyline kept missing the mark.  And, while beautiful, the actress playing Emily (Royce's love interest) never generated any heat with her male co-stars.  That being said, Royce eventually left the canvas to focus on his emotional healing AND to spare Emily any future hurt that she was certainly destined to experience by being married to him.

So, yes, was Marland trying to fix what GL EP Potter had prevented his doing with the complete "3 Carries" storyline with Jane Elliot? Did he make Royce into another chance at it?

• Members

Thank you for the historical insight for this much appreciated. LOL I guess I didn’t realize one of the pre-Mark Pinter Brians was the crazed prosecutor for Dee’s trial lol.

The bits and pieces I’ve seen of 1983 and 1984 for ATWT actual do feel fun and strong although there’s a lot guessing who is who especially when it came the muddled plots involving Cal, Diana, Frank, Maggie, the introduction of Stewart Cushing etc. Didn’t strike me as a messy show as I thought it was before Marland arrived, but of course it wasn’t at the traditional ATWT at all either. 

• Members

Was Maggie still on the canvas when Cal Randolph and Marie Kovacs were murdered? I often wonder about the evolution of that story? Did it begin with one possible conclusion and end another way?

This is why interviewing someone like a Susan Bedsow-Horgan would be invaluable, she might be able to clarify the timeline. There was a time after the Dobsons, before Marland that there was a team doing the writing. It would be good to know how long that period lasted and what Wes the comings and goings at that time and who was making the decisions during that time. Like, was that in-between period used by execs to trim the cast?

I feel like he got Meg Snyder who could be fairly complex at times but that may have been due to knowing the actress prior to her arrival.

Can someone please interview SBH already? And also, why doesn’t anyone ask more of these actors if they have some of their old episodes on video? It could help fill in the blanks.

What about Charles and Patti Dizenzo? When’s the last time anybody interviewed them?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

No, Maggie and Frank left earlier. Maggie got a bit dull at the end with catching the typical soap female baby fever. Marie and Cal were murdered off first as they were expendable...(Lisa had buddied Cal and Fulton wanted something to happen between them...and wanted to wear black after he was dead but they said no...there was no romance between them and she said, "Well, you don't know what happened in the broom closet!" )

I agree that Diana would never make over Lilly, Karen would befriend to achieve a goal and Ariel would have hilarious comments about Lily....she started functioning as a bitchy greek chorus in Oakdale at the end.