Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

An article from August 1978 mentionned that Heather Cunnigham joined the show to replace Marcia McClain who had left for other projects. But in another article from August 1979, Jacqueline Schultz is mentioned as joining the show and replacing McClain. So I guess Cunningham was supposed to be a real recast but she might have been bad and McClain returned until Schultz took over. Just a wild guess.

Here is a picture of Cunnigham. https://ibb.co/GJSHfPr

The episode posted was probably from Monday July 31st, Tuesday August 1st or Wednesday August 2nd 1978. It was one of the last episodes of McClain before Cunnigham took over later in August.

• Members

Thanks. That makes sense. Sad to think these are some of McClain's last episodes - she seems fine.

Watching some of this interview and seeing the host very awkwardly try to swerve whenever Scott tries to talk about people who ignore facts or the damage being done to the environment is something...

• Members

I thoroughly enjoyed the 1978 episode! So nice to still be gifted with treats such a this from time to time! I agree with everyone making comparisons between this era and the later 1979-1980 era. This feels like what ATWT should have been all the way through the late 70s/early 80s - still heavy on the domestic troubles with dashes of professional drama, BUT a new youthful quality by way of the Stewart sisters and those in their orbit. Then we get Barbara coming back just a month or two later, then Tom, etc. The right characters were there all along, but man the potential was completely squandered by 1980-1981.

And in what universe does World Turns On and On ever beat the original theme lol The only people who say that are those who started watching in the 80s. The Charles Paul theme, in both of its forms, is As the World Turns, periodt.

• Members

The original theme was sweeping and beautiful, I particularly appreciate the modifications done from 1967-1981. I was one of those people who had wanted the show to resurrect the theme in its final year, even briefly as tribute.
I also understand the need for exploring change .

I have a special place in my heart for the mid 80s theme though and when I heard a live version with real instruments, I loved how soulful and funky it sounded. I had always wanted to hear a stripped down, acoustic version of that that theme, similar to the versions we heard in individual scenes and sequences like the tribute to Chris Hughes/Don MacLaughlin right before the opening sequence. 

Honestly, those are two themes that I would have loved to hear a refreshed version brought back in the final year of the series as a tribute.

The themes that came after ‘87 really had no emotional or sonic resonance for me.

• Members

When they would play the live version at the Daytime Emmy awards, it sounded even better. You would really hear that bass guitar. 

I know people were saying it would have been quite impossible to resurrect these themes so many years later but this theme song and the one before it are so versatile that both would have needed minimal tweaking to resonate. 
Of course, that would have meant that the theme songs would have outshined the actual show in the final years.

• Members

Thanks @j swift and @DRW50 for the tag on that 1978 episode. Anytime I get to see crazy wicked Joyce is always a delight to myself and she’s probably one of my favorite villainesses I’ve read so much about yet rarely get to see her.

I remember this for sure. Unfortunately at this point in the show I had gotten so sick of Julia on the show by the end of 2002 I never wanted to see her again tbh. Julia’s descent into madness was fun to watch but all her returns were terrible especially since we were supposed to find it humorous that Julia raped Jack.

At least in 2003 the show had significantly improved to a point where the show was entertaining again even with Hogan at the helm.  

• Members

Just one more example of soap writers not talented enough to write for a good girl, because the bad girl is "just so much more exciting" (and easier to write for).  Then they make the good girl go crazy, to force the audience to root for the bad girl.   Suddenly the roles have been reversed -- the good girl is now the trouble maker, and the bad girl gets the man.   Jeeze-Louise, I get so sick of this, and variations on this situation. 

I realize these "good girl goes crazy" plots are often popular with the audience, but it still shows a lack of writing talent and it's a hail-Mary pass when the writers don't know what to do with the good girl.   Let's just make her crazy and write her off the show.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

In ATWTs defense, I am watching episodes from early 1999 right now and I am recognizing a lot of "crazy Julia" already  when she was hooked on those pills and being haunted by David and taunted by Carly. 

Julia's descend into madness was honestly amazing TV to watch back in the day but they did take it too far. But again in ATWTs defense, surely they wouldn't have taken it all the way if Annie Parisse didn't bolt out the door (at least I hope so).

I do hate how Carly always seemed to come out ahead at the end of the day (no matter who Jack was with). Sorry, but I've just never been a fan of the character. Maura West was and I'm sure still is an amazing actress but Carly was not a character I thought deserved to get what she wanted.