ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Members

The pacing is what concerns me more tbh. I've watched primetime soaps in the last decade-plus - most of them are super-choppy, breathless on plot and character points to get to the end of the 40-45 minute block. If they're not on streaming services they're almost all like that unless (and sometimes even if they are) prestige dramas. You look at the attempts at updating Melrose or 90210 for example - both breathless, super-choppy in cutting and pacing.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s like they burn through two or more years worth of story in 6 months.  Prestige shows string you along with all the character bits that soaps used to use (although soaps also did a lot of recapping due to the nature of the format to fill time)- the scenes that illuminate who these people are.

I think it’s why so many of them have a sophomore slump and are cancelled within two to three seasons- they just burned up all the ongoing story and the next set of stories is either a retread after a pivotal climax, or focused away from what made people tune in in the first place.

Soaps need momentum.  I get a network is not going to give a show as long as Knots had to get there, but those first five seasons gave them material for almost another five, and more viewers over time.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Yeah, I don't get why primetime network melodramas have to be so fast-paced and plot oriented. We got through watching Filthy Rich on FOX (the one with Kim Cattrall) and once again, a drama on speed. They burn through plot so quickly with no reflection or ramifications or a real sense of the characters. The streaming shows do it right, why are the networks so skittish on slowing things down? 

+1 

This Is Us is the one exception to the rule. I would also say A Million Little Things has a good pace. 

• Members

The attention spans of the overwhelming audience has changed drastically. This is why you don't see very many slow-paced shows anymore. People lose interest quickly, ratings go straight to the crapper, and networks are forced to pull the plug. I remember the old days of primetime soaps. No one was seemingly getting bored with slow-paced Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, etc. Those shows were popular because of their pace and they held people's interest from start to finish.

• Members

Except some of the most critically acclaimed and highest rated shows in the last decade have proven people will watch slower rolled out material if the characters are strong.  Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, are all shows that slow it down quite often.  Lots of Netflix and other streaming programs tell incredibly slow, meticulously crafted stories.

I think the key is to take advantage of what you have if you are a network.  You don’t want to loose momentum?  Then run a show like this from January to May.  No reruns.  You want to capitalize on that heightened soap thing?  Have a cliffhanger each week (could be emotional like This is Us, could be danger, or a piece of a mystery revealed, etc).  Be like Agnes- flexible enough that when something is happening in the real world, you can add it to the storytelling.  Promote the [!@#$%^&*] out of it.  For ABC, I say a week of GMA reintroducing the classic characters and themes, and meet the new cast.  Finally- learn from the mistakes of the past and network shows that fall apart between season one and two that like a mystery angle-  Solve one mystery from your premise before the end of the season, even if the characters do not know the resolution, the audience should be in on it by that point if you are carrying it into season 2.

• Members

They seem to be going for "buzzy" moments instead of really telling fully fleshed out stories. Hence why, as you said, This is Us has traction and a following. I've never bothered with the latter because it feels a bit try hard but that's good to hear.

I liked Filthy Rich but like you said it blows through story and it's hard to invest in.

Empire is a good example. The first season felt like it was actually planned out. It was, mostly, satisfying. Of course it all went to crap. 

These so called 'soaps' refuse to embrace they are a soap (as many others have accurately pointed out already). Like I said they seem to want 'buzzy' moments like other more popular shows and there's no real substance at the end of the day. (The new Dynasty is a perfect example)

I expect "Pine Valley" to embrace being a soap but I still worry about the plotting, as Vee has well pointed out. The recent history of primetime soaps worries me but I remain hopeful.

Edited by KMan101