ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Members

lWell, it's taken me some time to figure out what I think and what I feel about this. I'm still not sure. My mind is still kind of racing over it all.

I love the idea of "rebooting" a daytime soap as a primetime version. It has SO much potential. It does sound like the 'right' people are behind it, though Ripa and Consuelous give me a bit of pause, but at least they are 'name' enough to help get it off the ground I suppose.

They'd be really stupid not to have Susan Lucci and Eva LaRue starring. And I also agree they need to have SMG as Kendall. I love Minshew but SMG is name recognition, and she originated the role to huge fanfare.

AMC has a LOT of past stars that became famous or well known, or at least had some success away from the show. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on that.

They'd also be stupid not to focus it on Sam Grey. He's a Martin, a Cortlandt and a Santos. And of course you need Maddie if there's some Santos/Kane "feud" (that leaves me a little less interested, but it could have potential; I would love to see Maria and Erica going at it again). As a journalist, you'd be stupid not to find a way to tie in Tempo and Brooke English, who was of course married to Sam's adopted daddy Edmund.

I could go on for days at the possibilities ... but I do have my expectations in check and am aware of this being it's "own thing", which is fine, but use what you have. Otherwise, what's the point?

Oh, and another point, they could easily weave in other vets/characters should they so choose. Erica needs a friend: enter Opal and Jill Larson. If they use Sam, he needs a boss, who better than his former stepmother? Enter Brooke English. 

And Michael Nader was once a primetime Dynasty star and seems to have his issues in check. I wouldn't mind Dimitri. You'd have to mention him if it's a Kane/Santos feud, right? 

EDIT: They'd also be stupid not to have Debbi Morgan starring right alongside Susan and Eva. Then you can have Cornelius Smith Jr. back as Frankie ... 

See the potential? Will they use it?

EDIT: I wonder if we see Chrishell Stause as Amanda again. She was just on Dancing with the Stars ...

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would hope they'd give Julia Barr a cameo at some point with Brooke as Adam's widow. I don't expect to see everyone in key roles when you're reinventing a daytime soap for primetime (the mind still boggles at the logistical dangers tbqh), but I do think you can make those little allowances. Nader, I'm not sure ABC would've ever brought him back but PP did and he was wonderful in 2013. I would kill to see Dimitri once more, but it's a question of a) whether the network would allow it and b) if anyone involved gives a solitary shít.

They need to run Debbi her dollars and have her there on a regular basis. I don't care about what's practical or realistic with primetime in that case. But she did just have an extended run on Power.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If it winds up going to series, it will be a new show that shares a setting with the old show, with a few cameos from old cast members sprinkled in. There will be an entirely new story; they’re not going to try to tie it back to old stories, because that will be off-putting to the new, younger viewers they hope to attract.

• Members

If lucci agrees to come back, I dont think she will be just a cameo. Or eva larue since the story will be about a feud between the families. But i could be  wrong.

Other than that though i think im alright with everything being new. Im just curious about who they cast and if this will be good.

Edited by Dylan

• Members

If this has the Hubbard's involved heavily with the Santos and Kane families I am in. Would be interesting to see SMG back as Kendall. I think it is really easy to settle for Erica/Maria/Kendall/Angie/Jesse and their offspring  and I would be happy. 

The Jesse/Angie/David triangle made the 2013 show for me. 

I wonder if given Kelly and Mark's involvement this will reflect AMC circa  the early to mid 90s mainly?

Lots of details to come and the success of this program could make or break the future. 

• Members

Debbi is on the Power spin off too. Honestly if they’re smart they’ll lean heavily into black representation for the show. Debbi is known by viewers of all ages and she can pull in black viewers. If they used Debbi Morgan, Susan Lucci and Eva Larue as faces for the show I do think that could go a long way to making the show successful. You cover a lot of bases just with those three heading the different families. 

The casting for the new actors will be important too. I feel like other than the writing, what hurt the new Dallas was that they had a bunch of unknowns who weren’t the strongest actors. Because of that the only pull was the original actors. This needs to be a modern reboot with a compelling cast overall. 

• Members

The casting was bad for Dallas. It had nothing to do with unknowns. Jesse Metcalf as Christopher was downright terrible. The storylines sucked too. The best part of the reboot was seeing all the original cast. Dallas lasted 3 seasons. It was on cable and given more time. I don't see AMC lasting more than 2 seasons. It better make a splash on its first episode if not it won't last the year on air.