ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

These days it usually means the Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa school, i.e. Riverdale. But I hope I'm wrong. I can't see Kelly wanting to just have AMC turned into a clone of that show no matter how much her husband has enjoyed working on it. She knows what AMC is. I am pleased about this news, but I'm pragmatic. I don't want to see a hollowed out version of what made the show work. It can work on primetime, but nothing like this has ever really been done successfully before to my knowledge. It's a new frontier.

• Members

The show could suck but the EP sounds nice andrew stearn

From deadline

"Stearn has been the driving force behind Pine Valley. A lifelong fan, he watched All My Children growing up. Last year, when he was deciding between ABC Signature and one other studio for an overall deal, he chose ABC Signature because it was going to allow him to pursue his dream of rebooting All My Children. He started working toward that goal on Day 1 of his deal, beginning with tracking down the rights."

• Members

More than Riverdale, I see the show having more in common with a Desperate Housewives or This Is Us. I think the biggest difference other than the primetime format will be that it has a central mystery which seems to be the thing to do with any primetime soap these days. I don’t think the darkness of Riverdale would fit the ABC brand. Also I like that both writers are actual fans of the show. Im cautiously optimistic. 

• Members

I don’t give Kelly Ripa any credit to want to protect this as a brand.  In all the years since she left she obviously has fond memories of working there and that it was important in her life, but she is not precious about soaps or daytime at all.  She used to make fun of her time on the show all the time (I haven’t watched her talk show in a very long time, but I remember her often poking fun at the silliness of soaps).

• Members

There is GMA3.  

I hope to God this isn't made dark or a comedy. I'd prefer it on daytime.  Hopefully it can eventually, or ONE LIFE will be. 

I also do not want Sarah Michelle Gellar nowhere near it.  Alicia Minshew is by far the best Kendall. Gellar's Kendall was too young, and seemed like a little girl playing dress up.  The show likely would only have Erica(Susan Lucci), Maria (Eva La Rue), Kendall (hopefully Alicia Minshew) , Bianca (hopefully Eden Riegel) , Mateo (Mark Consuelos), Hayley (Kelly Ripa) , and their kids (all newcomers). Possibly Jack (Walt Willery), Janet (Robin Mattson or Kate Collins), Zach (Thorsten Kaye), a girlfriend or wife for Bianca, possibly Brooke (Julia Barr), JR (Jacob Young), Colby or AJ due to  being relatives to Hayley. Maybe guest appearances by Tad(Michael E. Knight), Jesse (Darnell Williams),  Angie(Debbi Morgan), Frankie(Cornelius Smith Jr, Alimi Ballard) , or Tara (Karen Lyn Gorney).  

Edited by David_Vickers

• Members

In fairness, albeit with a grain of salt:

This dude apparently turned down a deal elsewhere bc bringing back AMC was his dream. I wouldn't do that shít, lol! But I admire that. I just hope they don't turn the show into a CW-flavored widget. It sounds like he's implying on social media the Hubbards will be back. Any wise show would invest in Debbi Morgan and presumably a lead role for Frankie, quickly.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I love soap fans- but this is wild AF.  I am interested to see what they do with the property, but I am fully aware it will not be AMC rebooted in primetime, filled with the types of characters mentioned in your post.  That’s just not real, even if it was a daytime reboot, because that is not how networks think.

Ita going to be its own thing, with some familiarity.  And we better be prepared to let go of some of what we watched from about 2002 to the end.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Based on what I’ve read so far, I’ve personally deduced it to being this: AMC gone from soap opera to crime drama. No lovey-dovey moments. Just dark stories, dark characters intertwined with a few of the originals in a town seemingly turned mysterious/seedy/crime-infested.

Edited by Vanguardian

• Members

I'm just not interested in them purely sending up AMC like it's Devious Maids. That was an original property designed for that specific purpose. AMC had enough light and humor to it, we don't need to piss on the genre that has proved hardier in various forms and formats than TV cares to admit. You can absolutely poke fun at AMC's ludicrous history without dogging the show itself, and still having a sense of love for it.

I think we're all going to project the best or worst onto this project sight unseen, but I am cautiously hopeful. I do think it's extremely likely we'll see Sarah play Kendall Hart again, given the existing relationship with Kelly and SMG continuing to have TV cachet.