ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Members

I just don’t see it being dark like that. That’s not how ABC does soaps. I’d be much more worried if this was on CBS, CW or especially NBC which can’t do a soap to save their lives, unless u count This Is Us.

I wonder when we will start learning casting. Once they announce actors they usually give a character description which will add to the excitement. I fully expect them to announce Susan Lucci first which should give them lots of buzz at least. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Susan, Sarah and Eva LaRue are likely locks.

I'll be upset if Eden and Debbi aren't at least announced to appear. I do hope they let MEK and Cady do a bit. I want a lot of things we probably won't get, like getting to see Michael Nader again once more. 2013 spoiled me. I presume they'll recast J.R. again - I can't see them working in Hayley and not having Chandler Enterprises in some fashion.

Edited by Vee

• Members

This mostly sums up how I feel.

My fear is that AMC proper will become secondary to anything this new series tries to be, which could happen even if the new series flops. Even now, seven years later, 2.0 shows up more prominently than it should in a simple Google search for the show. This being a primetime thing could ultimately make it the "default" incarnation of the show, which...I can't go for that, booboo.

To me, maintaining a certain tone and atmosphere is the most important thing about doing any kind of reboot, and some shows do it well (ODAAT, SBTB) while others don't (Charlie's Angels, Dynasty), so it's just a time will tell thing, I guess.

• Members

Those top three seem like a lock to me, and the ongoing issues with diversity in media make me hopeful for Angie and Jesse and their family, because it’s already there for them to tap into.

I think a mystery angle works just fine with these characters, and a bit of darkness.  I wasn’t even watching the show yet (didn’t start until the Kendall stuff), and even I know the murder mystery around Will Cortlandt was very popular and that era of AMC is beloved.

I am a lifelong fan of GH- but my love affair began squarely in the Monty era so that is the DNA to me of that show.  I think a lot depends of when this guy started watching.

No matter what happens, I’m watching the first episode if it makes to air.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I really don't worry about that tbh, because I disagree. Sadly I don't think most people have much of any awareness of AMC 2.0 due to the circumstances and timing. AMC prime is what AMC is remembered for. In the best case scenario, this show is a hit and the larger whole is what becomes known for both. But I don't think AMC will necessarily be wholly supplanted by PV whatever happens. Not if they do it right.

• Members

I don't think we can know how dark the show will be based on that logline. I think there's a difference between simply doing a mystery plotline and being grimdark or trying to posture and cannibalize something like Riverdale (still my worst fear). So I'm not going to pre-judge too much just yet.

I will not be at all surprised if they pretend AMC 2.0 doesn't exist given the very brief and relatively obscure revival. It will always be canon to me, and who knows if we'll see any of the relevant characters, but fortunately most of the events on the show don't need to be retconned per se. Realistically I expect zero nods to it. Still, if we happen to not see A.J. or Miranda right away and some scheming superfan set dresser happens to leave a picture on the mantle of Eric Nelsen or Denyse Tontz (before the inevitable recasts, of course)... I might die.

• Members

I hope you're right. I know we're getting way ahead of ourselves, but I'd be cool with a Doctor Who-type existence, where those who are into the "current" show can be in to it, but a new appreciation for the big, huge, original monster is cultivated.

Surprised I'm the first to bring it up, but if this is a means to the end of getting more classic AMC officially released via streaming (or, preferably, DVD), then this can literally be Kelly taking a sht on Mark's belly every week, and I'll support it.

• Members

I can't see Kelly or Mark (or the showrunner who allegedly is a huge fan) wanting to pretend this show is out of continuity with GH and the rest of the old ABCD line-up. That's not how the network worked. I would fully expect references to Port Charles or Llanview.

I mean, obviously P&G isn't gonna do it so maybe ABC finally will, lol. But I think it's extremely possible this show flops or runs a year or two and that's it. I can't see it becoming a massive new franchise. I think streaming is and has always been a better hope for reinventing and reinvigorating the soaps. But I'm open to this.

Edited by Vee