ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It came and went with little pop cultural footprint, with only a fraction of the original audience because they were only streaming a few months, in a time when streaming serial drama had only just begun to gain traction. I think AMC 2.0 was the best soap of the 2010s and that those shows were only failed by their management, but I can't deny that it and OLTL 2.0 (also good IMO) have little historical memory.

IMO for the bulk of the general AMC/OLTL audience, their memory of the show's storylines ended in 2011 and 2012. Only a fraction remember the online revivals and their stories because they failed to last long enough and become big enough to get that kind of foundation. Were it up to me, I would still acknowledge their existence as canonical but only deal with them in passing references for now - a photo on a mantle of one of the PP kids at some point, maybe, or if you did OLTL you could have someone toss off a line about 'that whole government conspiracy thing', but that would be it. It would be behind us unless it became necessary to directly reference in more substantial detail, far in the future once a more successful revival had found its footing and could risk going into those obscure waters.

But it's not up to me. So for ABC - especially given their nasty protracted conflict with Prospect Park - it won't surprise me at all if they choose to memory hole the entire revival which was built by a company which attacked them in the press and which did not garner most of the existing audience. I would hope the actors would stick up for it since it was Agnes' final work and vision, but I don't expect it to be acknowledged. I'd die if it was.

• Members

I've said it before, but it's truly surreal to realize SMG is almost certainly back as Kendall after all these years (all due respect to Alicia Minshew, who deserves recognition and who I always enjoyed in the role). I just wish I could be confident the show's quality will live up to Sarah's talent and the opportunity.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I would also have to agree about AMC 2.0 being the best soap of the 2010s and the best the show had been in over a decade. I mean every storyline was clicking, the actor’s were all acting their hearts out too, loved the usage of vets. The whole cast deserved emmy’s for that year. Too bad Brooke’s Talk Tempo was just beginning to heat up once it was cancelled. She was finally being written the way I always envisioned her to be. 

This might be an unpopular opinion but I do not think Pine Valley necessarily needs Susan/Erica to survive AMC 2.0 proved that and year’s like 1994 with the tornado shown me that as well. I will greatly welcome her with open arms but she’s not the be all of All My Children imo. I contribute a lot problems with the shows last decade with them catering to Erica and her Girls and forgetting about everyone else.

Edited by cassistan

• Members

I think 2.0 proved AMC does not need Erica to be good and true to itself. But I think Erica is absolutely necessary for a major revival like this at this point. I just hope the show does right by the Hubbards, who were the heart of the show on 2.0. And I think Brooke was being used better in '13 than she had been since at the very least the mid-90s.

• Members

But remember this is primetime not daytime. Meaning general audiences remember All My Children for Erica Kane AKA Susan Lucci. TPTB is going to be looking for additional eyeballs to the ones who watched the show when it was on 5 Days A Week. Now if Pine Valley was taking over GMA3 spot then yes I could see the show being more of an ensemble without her. 

Though, I'm not saying Erica has to be in every episode. And I hope Angie & Jesse is included in this reboot as well as Brooke somehow too. 

I wouldn't mind if SMG Kendall reconnect with Anton Marrick again. Have Anton be the new chief of staff of Pine Valley Hospital.