ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

It's only February (technically March from a business standpoint). They have a full two months and a few days to get a pilot ordered, make casting decisions (mostly done I'm sure since we know what the show's about and it's a show with 41+ years of history, and a plethora of talent already wanting to be in it), so I have faith it'll still be in contention for fall 2021. Heck, even if they don't have all the work done by the time upfronts come around in mid-May I still think time is on the potential show's side. If the pilot doesn't get the green light within the next two or three weeks, maybe I'd be more concerned but not too much.

Heck, if nothing else, for all we know the network might just decide to not move forward with the show as a primetime reboot and just slap it onto its daytime schedule instead. It'd make an iconic message that the show came back 10 years after cancellation. One can dream...

• Members

If Sarah Michelle Gellar comes back as Kendell I am watching. She was a Firestarter during her early years on All My Children, and a crazy powerful dramatic actress. Her Buffy, her Kendell and her Katherine are all iconic characters in their own right, and she excelled at playing the emotions for all that they were, and always went beyond the writing to make her characters work, shine and penetrate through to the audience.

I'll take her over watery Minshew every day of the week, and twice at supper. Minshew could play romance but that was it. Her fake coughing crying fits and Vivian Leigh voice overs were weak tea, compared to what Gellar could produce at the drop of a dime, which was always insane given that she was a teenager at the time. I loved how much SMG's Kendell hated Erica, it made the show so interesting, and her seething, palpable rage was captivating in a way Minshew just never was. SMG's Kendell was Carly, before Carly was even a thing.

Please register in order to view this content

I agree with this. Reboots are a huge thing nowadays, with Buffy and Cruel Intentions not being picked up Sarah doesn't have a lot of opportunities to land in terms of reboots. Crazy to think that All My Children would be the project to raise her back up to notoriety again. Everything comes full circle.   

• Members

I agree with this. SMG just has an X-factor that AM doesn’t, which is why SMG remains iconic, even with her middling career the past 15 years or so. Buffy wouldn’t have been a pop culture phenomenon without her as an anchor.

AM did a great job navigating what Kendall ultimately became, which was a sort of an above-average bitchy heroine, and she had more of a resemblance to SL, but by her arrival, the show was already mostly garbage. SMG stood out on a show that was still pretty good, if in decline.

• Members

Minshew's Kendell was still being formed her first two years in. It felt like she was chasing SMG's ghost, or trying to redefine the character in her shadow. AM's Kendell reached her zenith somewhere around 2003, with the Micheal Cambias storyline as a character who felt independent and fully realized, but it still wasn't  quite the same.

SMG's Kendell was a force of nature, AM's Kendell was a long lost dog desperate for Erica's approval. Once Kendell was "accepted" into the Kane family AM's Kendell ceased to really be a character. Anything past 2004, wasn't Kendell anymore, but a non-descript soap heroine that had Erica's DNA, and so she had to lead the show.

The writing and narrative for Kendell also suffered from 2004 onward. Minshew was a romantic leading actress, I don't think she worked as a soap bitch much either, but that could have been because Budig had that market thoroughly cornered during her tenure there. 

If Llanview is a thing I would love to see Billy and Joey apart of it. 

The Vegas should also be a main stay of Llanview, if that's a thing. So much can be mined from Christian and Antonio. I also wouldn't mind a return or a revamp of the Christian and Jessica story, and their star crossed love story. That would likely play well with socioeconomic and class tensions and a grittier soap story.  

Edited by Skin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kendall just never lived up to her potential. I wanted so much for that character and TPTB failed us all. She needed more of Erica’s Glamour, a sexier love life, bitchier Storylines. I do believe Kendall needed to be one of the leads of this show, she just didn’t have the right storylines to support that. 2008 was the perfect time to revamp the character and the canvas, they didn’t so we missed out.