Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A lot of us on the old Mediadomain board were complaining during the George Kaplan mess about the rewrite of Brad's history.  There's a scene from about 1985 where he meets with his mother in a diner --- is that what's included in the clip referenced above? -- and he gives her an envelope of money that he'd saved working for the Abbotts.  She mentions that she has several other children, and she wants them all to earn an honest living.   Then, when Brad and Traci become engaged, Brad takes his mother's invitation out of the "to be mailed" stack and hides it in his desk drawer at Jabot.  Lauren Fenmore finds it, and becomes curious why he doesn't want his mother to attend the wedding.    It's a whole little minor storyline that was completely tossed out completely for all that reliquary mess.        

• Members

So can we assume Julianna's last appearance was when Kay was shot and she doesn't come back until Jill is shot? What great book ends, haha

I assume the Foster house was last seen Feb/Mar 85 when Carl is questioning Jill

I think after the brief return in 1986 Liz isn't seen again until 1993 after Billy was born. Unless Jill speaks to her via phone at some point before that

• Members

I kind of get she needed to be away during the time Phillip was hiding out at Kay's and during the whole custody suit, but once that was done in 87, Liz should have been brought back on a recurring basis. She definitely should have been there when her grandson died. As far as I know she wasn't. I find it odd Bell just forget about her too. I am pretty sure 1993 is her last appearance during the Bell years. 

• Members

Fall 1985 is being uploaded. The feud and quadrangle are entering full strength and everything is going to culminate in the first half of 1986. 1985/1986 Y&R reached #2, it was the peak of the Bill Bell/H. Wesley Kenney years.

Side note, I noticed 1985 is when Brenda Dickson started to get OTT in her acting mannerisms. I know they get worse in 1986 and 1987. 

• Members

85-86 had three great major stories.......

The Abbott Divorce Saga / The Newman-Abbott Affairs / Psycho Shawn 

Even the minor or B & C stories were good

The Abbott Divorce and Psycho Shawn stories climax in March which saw Y&R go #1 briefly and then we go out with a bang, literally in the lead up to summer 86 with Who Shot Jill in May. The show then spent July and Aug in the top spot as well. 

Yeah Brenda is sometimes good and sometimes cringey from 1985 onwards. Her last year on the show, for me, is her worst though and apart from losing all that history of having Brenda, I am glad Jess took over. Really love her Jill up to 1995. 

• Members

Yes, and sometimes it's difficult to tell when she's "good" and when she's "cringey".  Because it's all kind of the same.  

The problem seems to be that she basically just stripped away all of the character's vulnerability and innocence.  

She replaced those characteristics with the swiveling hips, the jutting breasts, the rolling eyes, the sighs, the pouts, the hats, and the overblown costumes. 

Sometimes it works in one scene, and in the next scene, it just looks utterly absurd.