Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

So a little confused, I found all these articles from Jan/Feb 2004 all marking Jeanne Cooper's 30th Anniversary. One of them lists it as Jan 28 and the Getty Image of Jeanne with Quinn and Joe LaDue celebrating her 30th Anniversary is dated Jan 28, 2004.

Is it possible the Nov 73 date was wrong all this time. Maybe Jeanne started taping in November 1973, and the delays from the Watergate hearings and the Christmas/New Year break delayed her debut? 

So below is a picture form the party dated Jan 28, 2004 and an article from January 2004 which states her anniversary is Jan 28

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The only reason I find this date Jan 28 odd, is because that is the alleged date of the 1974 episode we have with Kay appearing at Hazel's beauty parlour. Coincidence? I guess maybe, but it is a big one. 

Though where did you get the November 1973 date from? I had it too, but I have no idea where I got it from. There has never been a single legit source citing that month and year

Edited by will81

• Members

Yes. I have always accepted the Nov 73 date without question.

Digging deeper, the Dec 24 1973 summary gives no indication that Jill has a new job

When Snapper gets home, he’s surprised that Jill is still awake.  She’s made a hot toddy each for them.  They share a tender brother-sister moment as Jill says she’s going to miss him.  Snapper picks up on the fact that Jill is a little troubled.  She says it’s been a kind of an emotional night for her- the fact that Snapper will be getting married, how unsettled she is with her own life, how much she misses Brent.  She said she misses the Christmases they had as a family before their father left them- they didn’t have much but it was a special time.  She reminds Snapper how much he idolized his father and how they would pick out the perfect tree together.  She wonders if their father will come home for Christmas, yet they don’t know if he’s dead or alive.  Jill observes how lucky people are to have their parents and how often they don’t stop to count their blessings.

So maybe Jan 74 is correct.Does Jeanne give  a date in her book?

• Members

From a May 2, 1976 New York Daily News story/interview with Cooper:

"Miss Cooper joined the cast of 'The Young and the Restless' in the fall of 1973, six months after its premiere."

That, of course, does not say her episodes began airing then.

A handful of 2013 tribute articles also give her start as November 1973, which I'd assume is where everybody has picked up that date.

Edited by Titus Andronicus

• Members

That is why I accepted Nov 1973, six months would mean late Sep or early Oct 1973, they taped a week ahead, but due to the 3 weeks of Watergate pre-emptions, that would place her first airdate around early November. Maybe they still were ahead production wise for the Christmas/New Year break as well?

Oh well, I guess until we see the episodes or get contract or script info it will be a mystery

I think Jeanne has always stated 6 1/2 months after the premiere, but I have never seen a first airdate. I guess the Jan 28 date could have just been a big coincidence or a mistake. Maybe she only appeared once in Nov 73 and not again until Jan 28 1974 and everyone in 2004 believed this was her first airdate or something. 

Or maybe she really was on vacation in November and the Jan 28 date was used as it was her second episode. I would think Jeanne or the papers would have mentioned this. As far as I know, Jeanne is the only one to have an anniversary celebrated without absolute confirmation of her first airdate. It is really frustrating

• Members

I actually heard from the classic Y&R Facebook group (don’t take my word On how accurate this is) that we first saw Katherine enter the beauty salon where Jill was working and that was supposedly November 26, 1973. It seemed to be a one day stint for JC at that point because apparently we didn’t see her again till that January 28, 1974 episode! I feel like that’s a bit of a stretch because why introduce Katherine in November and basically shelf her till the following January?? but either way if all that’s correct maybe Jan 28 is considered her first contracted appearance? 

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I can quickly go through Cooper's autobiography on Internet Archive.

Cooper said she was contacted by John Conboy in early 1973 while vacationing in Hawaii. She said she was offered a three-year contract*. Cooper said she asked Conboy when he wanted her to show up. He said tomorrow. This is the same story as Conboy offering her a contract and specifically said to be early 1973 and she said she immediately made the flight.

Unfortunately, Cooper's memory doesn't seem reliable in the least.

* In a handful of 1970s articles, Cooper said it was a six-month contract.

• Members

This is strange, the 25th Anniversary book mentions him in that role of Joseph Thomas from 1979-1980 yet nothing is listed for that character as far as I can tell in the synopsises I have for 1979 and there was definitely no cross connection between Jill, Nikki, and Casey at all as Jill was the midst of the entire Stuart/Derek/Katherine/Suzanne mess while Nikki was working for Rose and Casey seeing Lucas and being uncomfortable sexually.

I wonder who wrote that fiction?

Please register in order to view this content

A 1993 Chicago Tribune interview they did with Quinn Redeker makes it sound like his earliest appearance on the show came sometime in 1973.

• Members

I know this has been buried, but I find this very interesting and odd

Rose and Vince turn up (again) in October 1979 and this is Nikki's entire story until May 1980. Then the cult story kicks off in Jun 80 for the summer.

No one knew the trouble Nikki had gotten into until that summer when Greg was being stalked by an assasain who shot Liz which happened in July, around the time Deb Adair took over as Jill. At this point Jill was at Jabot, Jack had just turned up and the triangle with John was haphazzardly bumbling along.

ETA: Greg found out in May which pushed Nikki towards the cult, but no one else knew until July.

Casey had her hands full with Lucas and Jonas, as Leslie had just returned to GC an amnesiac and Jaime Lyn was on her way out on maternity leave.

Maybe Joseph Thomas and that story was an idea that Bell or someone mentioned at some point and some fan or soap journalist picked up on it as real. Based on the above I can't imagine it fitting in anywhere on the show. Though Bell was throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the audience around that time.

Edited by will81

• Members

I did hear about this same story but like you came to realize how did it even fit onto this show at the time, maybe it is fan fiction just like how there was a scene in the 70's when jennifer, Vanessa andci think Katherine all showed up at a plastic surgeon office at the same time lol