Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I believe Brock, Snapper and Casey were determined to help Nikki pull her life together and she dated some really upstanding guy, but he may have been a bit old fashioned for the times, I think Snapper introduced them. He was played by Jack Stauffer. Maybe he was on staff at the hospital with Snapper and Casey.

I didn't think they dated for very long, but I have only read synopsis so not sure. He came on in summer 1978 I think. Pretty sure it didn't last that long. I am almost certain Nikki and Greg were beginning to date when Nick Reed turned up in 1979. 

• Members

Also from looking at the Variety Archives John Considine began filming a movie (The Thirsty Dead aka Blood Hunt aka The Blood Cult of Shangri-La) in the Phillipines starting Feb 26, 1974. Sounds like he wasn't on Y&R much past that Jan 28, 1974 episode.

Some dates I found from Variety Archives

Feb 27, 1973 - Daily Variety reports Patricia Wenig hired as Associate Producer 

Mar 8, 1973 - Daily Variety reports Robert Colbert, William Gray Espy and Mary Grover added to Y&R cast

Mar 20, 1973 - Bill Glenn and Herbert Kenwith set as rotating directors for Y&R

Apr 20, 1973 - Robert Clarke joins Y&R in continuing role (Bruce Henderson)

Sep 14, 1973 - Daily Variety reports Richard Dunlop has been added as a rotating director for Y&R

Dec 11, 1973 - Daily Variety reports Jaime-Lyn Bauer has been added to the cast which lines up with her character returning in time for Christmas

Jun 7, 1974 - Karl Bruck joins Y&R in a recurring role (As Maestro Fautsch) Pretty sure Maestro was introduced in 1973, maybe someone else played him?

Nov 18, 1974 - William Glenn, Richard Dunlop and Jim Drake listed as Directors for Y&R (Jim Drake seems to have been dropped by Dec 74)

There are also a couple mentions in the archives I might retrieve about the WGA being upset about scab writers being used on Days and Y&R during the 1973 writers strike and a possible lawsuit

Edited by will81

• Members

Sep 9, 1975 - Daily Variety reports William Gray Espy set to leave Y&R (pretty sure his last episode is the one with Jennifer Brooks coming out of surgery (I believe Sep 26, 1975)

Nov 26, 1975 - Daily Variety reports that David Hasselhoff announced to take over role of Snapper Foster (his first air date has been listed as Dec 8, 1975)

Dec 10, 1975 - Daily Variety reports that on Dec 9 John Conboy signs deal with Columbia Pictures Television to establish a company under his own name and develop projects in association with CPT

Mar 31, 1976 - Patricia Wenig named Producer of Y&R (I assume this is when Conboy got the Ex Producer title?) Also might be when Ed Scott joined the show???? Just a guess

Jun 17, 1976 - Maura Spencer-Reed and Stacy Graham listed as cast on Y&R (no roles mentioned)

Oct 19, 1976 - Variety announces Janice Lynde, John McCook, Mary Stuart and Michael Nouri to star in Daytime tv Special

Additional note - Mike Hank(s) was listed as Casting director until Aug 1976 - replaced at some point by Trudy So or Sow or Soaa, her last name seems to be constantly mis-spelled.

Edited by will81

• Members

More from Variety. These are just from the search engine, but if I find something of particular note I will retrieve it and post it

Feb 2, 1977 - SNAPPER FOSTER SINGS! "The Young and the Restless'" Star DAVID HASSELHOFF makes his singing debut tonight on the Merv Griffin Show 

Apr 6, 1977 - Y&R is referred to as "The Hung and the Restless" at a Washington D.C event - not sure who made this joke but I guess by this point the tight pants on the men were being noticed, haha

May 25, 1977 - CBS has two serial dramas in development - one from "The Young & The Restless" supplier Bill Bell and the other from EMI Productions, which has never operated in daytime before. Ogiens also anticipated that specials, "not necessarily at the same level as at nighttime," are going to become an important program force

Jun 9, 1977 - Y&R star Jaime-Lyn Bauer to wed Dr. Richard Goldstein Jun 17 in Riverside

Jun 21, 1977 - Cindy Eilbacher recurring role as Donna Benz on Y&R (is this character name correct??)

Not sure about this next one

Aug 22, 1977 - Cherilyn Parsons as Kim Y&R Aug 22, 23, 24, & 29 - CBS

Oct 26, 1977 - Singin', Swinin', & All That Jazz," Keith Charles and Don Hastings of "As The World Turns," Beau Kayzer, Victoria Mallory and John McCook of "The Young & The Restless" will show their daytime fans other dimensions of their talents. John Conboy, "Young & Restless" exec producer, will produce and Bill Glenn will direct

Sep 14, 1978 - Edward J. Scott has been named producer and Nancy Wiard associate producer for CBS-TV's "The Young And The Restless." Scott has served as associate producer of the Columbia Pictures Television series for the past two years. (I assume Pat Wenig became Supervising Producer at this point)

Dec 27, 1978 - Jaime-Lyn Bauer signs a deal with CBS (not sure what the details were)

Feb 7, 1979 - Patricia Everly will replace Pamela Solow in the cast of CBS-TV's "Young & The Restless"

Mar 21, 1979 - Quinn Redeker signed for continuing role in "The Young and the Resltess"

May 24, 1979 -  CBS Expands Soaper, 'Restless To 1 Hour "The Young And The Restless, " CBS-TV soaper, Is being expanded to an hour from its current half-hour length in the fall. CBS affiliates were told yesterday by Michael Ogiens, v.p., daytime

Jul 3, 1979 -  Dawn Jeffory 'Restless' Dawn Jeffory Is joining Columbia Pictures tv's daytime series "The Young And The Restless," on CBS.

Jul 4, 1979 - Kathleen Engel, formerly secretary in CBS press department, joins web's "The Young & The Restless" series as a writer. 

Jul 18, 1979 -  Signed: "Young And The Restless" star David Hasselhoff has signed with Capricorn Records. 

Jul 18, 1979 - occurs Dec. 3, when "The Young & The Restless" serial will expand from 30 minutes to an hour. In so doing, its starting time will move up a half-hour earlier to 12: 30, ousting "Search For Tomorrow" from its current time period - with "Search" moving to the 3: 30 time period where it will replace "One Day At A Time."

Oct 23, 1979 - CBS Delays "Restless' Hour form To Feb. 4 CBS-TV's "The Young & The Restless" soaper, originally to have begun its expansion to an hour-long form this month, will debut in its new format Feb 4

As reference here is a picture of the cast of "Singin', Swingin', & All That Jazz,"

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by will81

• Members

More from Variety - I will give it a rest after this

Pat Wenig is last mentioned as Supervising Producer October 1979

Jan 16, 1980 - ' YOUNG & RESTLESS' EXPANDS TO AN HOUR CBS-TV's long-promised expansion of "The Young & The Restless" to an hour's length will become a fact Feb 4, 1980

Jan 29, 1980 - Meg Bennet 1st Of Additions To 'Restless' Cast As the first of several cast members to be added to the expanded "The Young & The Restless" soaper, Meg Bennet has been signed to portray the role of Julia Newman

Apr 7, 1980 - Young, Restless - Bauer looks beyond soaps (I know JLB stated she was leaving every year from about 1975 so I didn't bother looking at this article)

Apr 30, 1980 - "Young And Restless" star Jaime Lyn Bauer and husband, makeup artist Jeremy Swan, expect in late August

May 15, 1980 - Mike Hank(s) is back as Casting Director

Nov 10, 1980 - "The Young & Restless' Mike Hanks casting role of Lance Prentiss, 35-40, leading man type, handsome, charismatic, all-American, suave, debonair, sense of humor, charming, lives abroad, singer a plus. Responsible agents may phone Mr. Hanks. Send photos and resumes

Mar 23, 1981 - Clare & Elizabeth Schoene, Rob Sullivan, MP Murphy continuing roles on "The Young and the Restless" (No character names listed)

May 8, 1981 - Paul Tulley continuing role The Young and the Restless"

May 13, 1981 - CBS-TV is moving Its soaps around and plans more balanced programming in entertainment, info series and spex, affiliates were told yesterday by Michael Ogiens, day time and children's programs veepee. Speaking at the 26th general affiliates conference at the Century Plaza, Ogiens said that the afternoon slate changes will be keyed around the moving of "The Young And The Restless" from its current 1 p. m. slot to 12: 30 ( where "Search For Tomorrow" is now ensconsed). "As The World Turns" will move forward a halfhour to a 1: 30 p. m. star

May 26, 1981 - Cissy Wellman figures she's now a "more serious person," so she's using her real monicker, Celia as she starts a "Young And Restless" week playing a pathetic hooker

Jun 10, 1981 - Joe Taggart, continuing role, "The Young And The Restless." 

July 15, 1981 - Melody Thomas who plays the stripper girl friend ofSteven Ford in "Young & Restless" underwent an emergency appendectomy

Jul 16, 1981 - Tom Palmer joins the crew of the Young and the Restless (no idea what role or if it is a behind the scenes gig)

Nov 18, 1981 - Steven Ford's option on "Young & Restless" was pick ed up for another 13 weeks

• Members

Yeah, they were all jumping the bones of their make-up men in the early 1980s.  Melody Thomas had a baby with Carlos Yeaggy, who was one of the make-up men.  That's what inspired the whole Victoria storyline.  

Then she decided she'd rather marry an executive producer instead lol.  

• Members

Haha just glad you got something out of it

I actually only meant to jot down that one point about John Considine, but then I couldn't stop myself

Also when John Conboy left around Feb 1982, directors Bill Glenn and Dick Dunlop left too. Was really the end of an era. They were replaced by Frank Pacelli / Rudy Vejar and Dennis Steinmetz

Edited by will81

• Members

I was thinking (director) Herbert Kenwith stuck around longer than he did.  He directed the first episode of Y&R, and I was thinking he stayed several years.  But according to his bio, he moved on to Norman Lear comedies.  

Y&R has been lucky to have several good directors, including all those you've listed here -- Bill Glenn, Richard Dunlop, Frank Pacelli, and Rudy Vejar, as well as Kathryn Foster in the 1990s and 2000s.  

• Members

John Considine joined Another World by late May 1974. The wire articles were way more interested in his theatrical family background than anything else. Y&R wasn't even mentioned.

Finding anything on early Y&R casting is pretty much nil in regular newspapers of the time. Robert Clary got most of the individual publicity when it started. Tom Hallick also got some attention. 

After that, Brenda Dickson's signing resulted in a couple of small articles.

I've also given Australian archives a try, to see if perhaps marketing might have been handled differently considering Y&R had already been on a year before airing in Australia. Here are some nice color photos for an article announcing its debut.