Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I think that was a story gimmick that was used from time to time, to redeem certain characters, and then have them get drawn back into their old ways (Victor was redeemed briefly when he went to Kansas / Kay's battle with the bottle and on-off feud with Jill).

As for the purge, I don't know if we can include Brock, since he left in late '86, but was basically swapped-out with Phillip Jr.  Brock returned in 1988 and stayed through 1992, then returned in 1999 before departing in 2003. He had appeared occasionally since then.  Matt Miller was more or less swapped out with the return of Douglas in early '87.  Michael Evans (Douglas) was a favorite of Ed Scott's as well as Melody Thomas Scott.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Makes sense.  I just remember it seemed kinda "rushed".   I was changing schools at the time and gave it lots of thought.  Traci, on the other hand was like, "Hmmm, I think I'll go to Stanford and finish my degree.  Oh, and by the way, I'm leaving today.  Good-bye!"  lol.  

Yeah, Rose & Vince were like those Thenardiers in Les Miserables.    Whenever we thought we were rid of them, they popped up yet again.   They were funny.  

• Members

I do notice when a new EP came on back in the day..the show seemed to do a reset (for the better).  A good EP can't do much without a good writer..and a good writer can't do much without a good EP.

I think the recent practice of a handwriter being an EP as well is not a good practice.

• Members

Added to the Vault

4/1/86 - takes place before clip (86)

8/22/86 - It's Ok To Say No Concert - The English version video quality isn't as good as the German. The German version has the songs in English, and some of the chit chat between songs in English with German subtitles. Depends whether you care more about the video or audio.

9/15/86

9/16/86

9/17/86

I haven't watched those yet so I don't know exactly how they fit into the clips but I see Jack starts wearing that red shirt around clip (114)

Also uploaded

11/1/88 partial

• Members

Yeah, Lynne Bassett-Hound was utterly wretched and only had a job because her father was on the writing staff.   Once Jerry Birn was off the writing staff, his dull daughter was booted out the door instantly. 

Stephanie Williams had such good chemistry with both Doug Davidson and Steven Ford, and her character should have evolved into Paul's partner at Williams & Richards, once Steven Ford was gone.  

She was good with the aerobics classes, a great dancer, had good friendship chemistry with Traci, good rival chemistry with Lauren, and worked well with whomever she was paired with romantically.

It's just hard to believe that Bell couldn't find a way to continue using her.  

• Members

Yes! Some of her last scenes around Feb '88 were Amy doing detective work for Jill, hunting down Nina's past lovers.

She came back for 2 random eps around March '90 where she taught aerobics and flirting with Nathan, before disappearing. Seems like Bell had some plan for Amy and Nathan, but Stephanie Williams got a contract on GH as Simone so she bailed.

• Members

That's true, and we'd have missed out on a LOT.  

But I've always suspected that Bell's original plan was to bring back Stephanie Williams, in a recurring capacity, as the "upper middle class" girlfriend of Nathan, and then a few months later introduce Drucilla as the illiterate shoplifter who would become dependent on Nathan.  At that point, he would've had all his players in place, and he would've signed Stephanie Williams and Victoria Rowell to contracts.    There would've still been a Dru, but not an Olivia.  We'll never know for sure, though, since "General Hospital" signed Stephanie Williams to a contract, forcing Bell to re-work the entire trajectory of what he'd planned for Nathan.