Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

We all remember things differently, of course.  For instance, I vividly remember the episode in 1980 where Bond Gideon's Jill puts the multiple layers of lipstick on the customer at Jabot, and John Abbott fusses at her, and then later tells her the idea has merit.  BUT I could've sworn Brett Halsey played John Abbott in that episode.  When it surfaced online earlier this year, John Abbott was played by some complete stranger that I never remember seeing in my life.  I remembered the episode itself, but just not the actor.  Our memories are fuzzy that way sometimes.  

Whoever came up with the "Joseph Thomas was a doppelganger to scare Nikki" is just remembering it wrong.  That never happened.  Jill only strayed into the Greg/Nikki storyline for like ONE DAY, and that was when Liz was shot and was hospitalized.  Jack Abbott took Jill to the hospital, so Jill could make sure her mother was going to be ok.  And then Jill was like, "Ok, looks like Ma is going to make it!  Thanks for the ride, Jack!", and she went directly back into her new Jabot storyline.  She didn't plot any "revenge scheme" against Nikki, and Quinn Redeker didn't appear.    

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There is only one place I found Sean Garrison credited as John Abbott, but it was in relation to a request for a cast list in a newspaper tv column and it was from January 1981, when Brett Halsey was very much in the role. The columnist also spelt names wrong and listed Tammy Taylor as Patty, though Lilibet was in the role at that point. 

The Brett Halsey/Sean Garrison casting along with Jeanne Cooper's start date is going to haunt me for some time I think, haha. CBS/Sony need to get these episodes onlin to ease my mind.

• Members

This is the only mention of Jeanne Cooper joining Y&R that I could find. This comes from the Feb 21, 1974 issue of Daily Variety. This seems to add to the idea that her start date was Jan 28, 1974. I am still not willing to say 100% confirmation, but the evidence is mounting, haha

ETA: I am thrown off by Jeanne stating in 1976 that she joined the show 6 1/2 months after it debuted. But what if that is when she signed her contract. It doesn't mean that is when she started taping. Bell/Conboy could have made sure they had her on board several months prior to her first tape date. It is the only way to explain the discrepency

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by will81

• Members

If I remember right, the Chancellors were discussed in the dialogue for several days (or weeks) before the viewers ever encountered them.  A slow-build to their debut, I believe you'd call it.  

There was discussion in the dialogue that on Foothill Road, there was a big house that overlooked the city.  The house, of course, belonged to Mr. & Mrs. Chancellor.  

It was also established that the Chancellors owned several factories and manufacturing plants around town, including the one where Liz worked.  

The Chancellor anecdotes seemed to be providing some "local flavor" to help flesh-out the physical appearance of Genoa City.  

I'd say it's certainly possible that we first saw Kay Chancellor for one or two appearances in late 1973, before Phillip and Kay made their big splash in January of 1974.  

That was just kinda the way Bill Bell wrote.  Slowly, and thoughtfully. 

The cast listing wouldn't provide any clue of when  Jeanne Cooper first became a contract player, because the cast only scrolled "in order of appearance", for any specific day.  

Jeanne could've well started appearing in late 1973, and the press assumed that she was recurring instead of contract, as her storyline didn't really kick-off till January 28, 1974.  

• Members

That was the other thing I was thinking. Maybe her first appearance in Nov was so brief that it seemed almost like a day player role to the soap press.

I tried finding any info on John Considine's time on the show, as apparently Jeanne said he was there before her (maybe he is seen with Liz at the Chancellor factory) but I could find nothing at this point. 

Jeanne was well known in the 1950's and I think early 60's in terms of television. Not sure what her profile was like by 1973. So no idea if the general press would bother to announce her arrival. I have some 1973/74 daytime tv issues coming so I will see if there is anything in those as well