Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It would be difficult to tie-down exactly when Andy arrived.  At first he just flitted randomly in and out of stories.  One of the first times I remember noticing him, he was eating spaghetti at Nikki's house (maybe he was the bartender at the Bayou then?), and that crazy Edward, who was stalking Nikki, got jealous.   Eventually Andy, Paul, and Danny all ended up being waiters at Jonas's club, but that was after Andy and Danny had both been around for a while.  

• Members

I just checked out the SOD recaps from 1981. Andy and Danny are both mentioned for the first time in the update dated September 15, but the updates are typically 2-3 weeks behind, so they both debuted around late August to early September 1981.

Broderick is right that Andy’s debut was him bartending at the Bayou in the midst of the Nikki/Edward storyline, while Danny is someone that Patty meets at the cafe, around the same time that Patty also meets Jack.

Edited by OzFrog

• Members

Looks like the uploader went back and corrected a few previous clips that had some bad tracking / interference lines. They look a lot better now. I noticed #070a, 070b, and 071a are new & improved versions.

The only problem is that the people who recorded back then are likely in their late 50's to 70's by now, many of which probably know very little about transferring and uploading tapes, but we can always hope.  VCR ownership wasn't really all that common until the early '80s too, and add to that, how many of them still own a working VCR, especially the BETA format, but again, miracles do happen.  

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by trainman

• Members

Ah, I was wondering why those said uploaded yesterday, while the later numbers were uploaded Sunday. Guess I'm not the only one checking obsessively for those uploads! Lucky for me I was only up to 67a so I missed the bad ones.

I loved the sequence with Ashley and Brent... had a fairy tale feeling for me, like he was an ogre attacking her, and when she was wandering in the woods it reminded me of Disney's Snow White.

• Members

When Matt showed up in '85, that was at the same time Douglas left Y&R for a couple of years (as well as Jack & Katherine briefly absent).  I think Bill Bell brought Matt in because Victor suddenly had very few people in his world to talk to.  I always felt that Matt was the "Y&R payroll switch" for Douglas (Michael Evans moved on to a different soap for a while ~ Capitol?), and after Matt left, Douglas returned in '87, minus "Boobsie".  IIRC, Douglas and Matt never shared a scene together.

• Members

My mom fondly liked Matt.. and I asked if he was anything like Victor.. and she said no.

I think that there was a lot of untapped potential with the Matt character... and I felt that the show didn't really explore the Victor/Matt dynamic to the fullest extent.  Victor was abandoned by his parents, grew up in an orphanage, and became this angry driven man.. and it did affect how he was as a parent (in some ways, Jack was more of a father to Nicholas than Victor was)... while Matt ended up being raised by his family since he was born later on so he didn't have the chip on his shoulder that Victor did.  Sadly... by the 80s.. soaps were more about couples/triangles than about psychological character study so the potential was never fully explored.

• Members

yes!! i’ve always wanted to see the scenes you mentioned as well! i’m pretty sure he had to be rushed to the hospital and then Vanessa and Lorie blames each other. i sure hope someday we get to see it!

This is very true. I’m always hoping there’s that one person that will know what they’re doing and they will unearth all the great stuff we’ve been wanting to see! I sure was shocked to find the scenes that were being uploaded to the Y&R vault. I never thought we’d get to see stuff like that!

• Members

I don't remember a trip to the hospital for Lance after the shooting.  I was thinking Lorie Brooks just called her brother-in-law, Snapper, who came out to the lake house and treated Lance at the scene.   Then Snapper told Lorie and Vanessa, "I'm not sure what happened here, but you'd better look into filing a police report", which they opted not to do.  That's the way I remember it.    

I remember when he came on.  It was in very late 1979 or very early 1980.  He was a professional thief.  Derek Thurston hired him to break into a safe, remove an audio tape, and substitute a new tape in its place.  

(The story was that Brock had recorded a private conversation between Derek and Jill, during which they professed their love for each other and talked about what a gruesome old bat Derek's wife, Kay Chancellor, was.  Brock gave his mother the tape and said,  "If you want to know how your husband really feels about you, here's a tape of him and Jill discussing you."  Kay didn't want to hear it and put in her safe.  Later she decided to listen to it.  Derek hired Douglas Austin to swap out the tape with a better version where Derek was babbling about what a wonderful wife Kay Chancellor was.)  Shortly after the show expanded to an hour, Douglas's role increased.   He stole $50,000 of "ransom money" that Kay Chancellor delivered to Suzanne Lynch to free Derek from a hoax kidnapping.  Then Douglas started courting Kay.      

• Members

I remember Douglas courting Kay, but nothing before that, so this is fun for me to read.  I recall the pistol duel between Douglas and Derek on the Chancellor Estate grounds (filmed outdoors, not on set).  I think Victor and Kay were there as witnesses.  I don't recall the outcome, but obviously both survived.

• Members

Douglas shot him in the butt.  I believe the "witnesses" were Victor & Brock. 

Victor was serving as Douglas Austin's "second", and Brock was reluctantly serving as Derek's "second".  

Seems that Derek kept stepping in gopher holes as they walked out to the dueling ground.   Kay Chancellor was at home, waiting for the outcome.  She heard the shot, and then Derek came in with a butt wound.  

• Members

In the weeks leading up to it, the duel storyline was presented as being a "very dramatic and serious stand-off", at least from the point of view of Victor and Douglas, who proposed the dueling pistols.  But on the day of the duel, it was played more as "dark comedy", which was fitting considering the circumstances.   lol