2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Members

I can’t recall the exact writer but it may have been Michelle Val Jean. When the strike was first announced, a fan asked if there was someone addressing the needs of soap writers which are typically overlooked. She said that yes, there is someone at the top who is meeting with soap writers and addressing their concerns in the negotiations. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The strength of soaps reruns during COVID was far different because you had a significant number of people staying home. That's not the case now.

The bummer for soaps v primetime programming is that the average lo-info viewer thinks the TV season is over *until fall* because they just finished watching season finales this month. The overwhelming majority of folks have no clue about the strike and its impact. The GP is seeing the usual summer movie rollout, new scripted seasons are launching on streaming, etc. 

It won't be pretty for soaps if they stop showing original episodes.

Shoot, B&B can basically use old scripts with Brooke/Ridge/Taylor or Hope/Liam/Steffy. The difference would be minimal!

Note: As a screenwriter, I fully support the strike.

• Members

If these shows are forced to use scab writers in order to keep producing new episodes during the strike, will the scabs have to attend story conferences with the networks?  Or are the scabs usually left alone to write what they have to in situations like these?

• Members

DGA has struck a tentative deal. It is said that the WGA has its own proposals that do not align with the DGA’s demands, making it unlikely that DGA’s progress on residuals and data transparency would significantly impact the writers (one of their largest concerns is staffing requirements for episodic series).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Yea, I know it’s in the NY Times but this Op-Ed, which speaks of the perils of ‘vocational awe’ and how industries can exploit workers who happen to love their jobs is especially relevant to this WGA strike. I have personally experienced this before on a number of occasions. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/05/opinion/employment-exploitation-unions.html?smid=tw-share

• Members

I've seen several people on my social media that are members of the DGA that plan to vote against the deal, but I have no clue how representative that antidotal evidence is of DGA members as a whole. 

Very nice to read how strong the strike vote was for SAG-AFTRA. They seem very motivated. 

Edited by wingwalker