2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I give Ron credit for standing with the strikers, and given the length of the article, it seems like the writer was collecting interviews on the picket line, so the sources were limited.

My only objection was the inferences made regarding the writer who attended Yale Drama School as if writing a soap is less creatively challenging than writing a breakdown for something formulaic like the 27th season of Law&Order.

Overall, regarding media coverage of the strike, I appreciate the efforts to blame AMPTP, rather than the union, when reporting about productions stopping filming.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Days of Our Lives now films further in advance than it used to, so it may take longer for viewers to notice a change in the quality of writing and dialogue. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

“We were sitting in his apartment doing a Fourth of July episode. Our fans love holidays. And we had the ‘evil woman’ come in, and she was trying to get the good guy. And we came up with this idea that there’s a little girl with a baby doll, and the evil woman is pregnant with the good guy’s baby, so she goes, ‘I guess I should practice.’ And she holds the doll and goes, ‘Ew! It wet on me!’ And she throws the doll on the grill and it explodes. That was one of my favorites.”

That's...not funny.

• Members

Ron and the other writers complain about scabs, but he knows damn well that soaps will continue during strikes.  His script editor and one of his breakdown writers on Days (Fran Myers and Jean Ford) are fi core writers. Now, I'm sure Corday would have never let him replace them. Both of those woman wrote his OLTL under Gary Tomlin (also fi core), and OLTL was no worse during the 2008 strike than when Ron took over Dena's crap. Many union writers got their start on soaps during the past strikes.  Many have been named on this board: swajeksi, Iacubuio, Leahy, Kibbee, Chastain  to name a few.

• Members

LOL I’ve been amazed that CBS still airs the Tonys after all these years to very low ratings. This also reminded me of the disastrously hysterical Golden Globes press conference back in 2008 during the last strike.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Several years ago PBS did try airing the Peabody Awards ceremony but there was just no audience for it so they stopped. 

The Tony Awards on CBS at least gave Broadway a night to shine but of course usually as its been last two decades appears to only focus on the biggest name draws.