2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Members

The Tonys are moving forward after striking WGA members said they wouldn’t picket the ceremony. “Prominent theater artists who work on Broadway and are allied with the writers guild also spoke up on behalf of the Tonys, arguing that forcing the show off the air would be devastating to the art form and to the many arts workers it employs. The combination of the lobbying efforts and the new conditions appears to have prompted the guild to say Monday night that it would not picket the broadcast,” according to the New York Times.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

TV programming sucks!

I watch only two daytime programs..TPIR and The View.

The rest of my TV schedule is a Spanish soap opera, 80s Primetime soaps which is online and sporting events.

All I hear from my family is there's nothing on damn TV.   TRUTH!!!

God I miss 80s TV!!!

• Members

When other unions strike, if a show is in  production the actors have a no strike clause. Actors can strike, and in 2000 there was a strike of advertising acting where no actors that were Sag or AFTRA as they were separated still were allowed to do commercials. It got settled, and some people did scab, during that time, but less ads were produced. In 1980 there was a strike too by actors, but soaps were not a part of it. I haven’t read either way since the merger. 

what I wonder is does the DGA have a no strike clause for daytime? Since the DGA is not talking during negotiations if they don’t and that union strikes, I wonder if production would need to stop…because getting a scab directing staff may be more of a challenge than with writing.

• Members

If SAG AFTRA Strikes no actor in that Union can work. And the soaps are all signatories to SAG-AFTRA which means they cannot replace them with non union actors. IF SAG AFTRA  strikes all productions outside of  non union productions will shut down

• Members

For years writers have chafed the term “content” being affixed to their work just because it now lives online. Content may be fine for the tech world but it has a cold, somewhat bloodless connotation and shouldn’t really be glommed onto any work art that has been created from an analog source, like a pen and paper.

It will take some time and it won’t be pretty but these issues will get sorted. At least the WGA isn’t waiting as long as the music industry to deal with the problem.