2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Currently, there's no verifiable information on what the shows plan to do writing wise as the strike progresses. With the DGA contract talks beginning this week and a bleak chance a deal will be struck if one isn't already with the WGA by the time the DGA contract expires, there's a big chance we'll see more than just a need to find writers.

I wouldn't go by history, especially when you consider that there were eight soaps on the air during the last strike. There are now only four now. People don't want to lose their rights unless they are currently in a position of power to do so. 

• Members

I am going by who is already Fi-core working on the four remaining shows. thats how i got my predictions.

The soaps could halt production as soon as pre-strike scripts have finished filming but in the previous 4 strikes of writers this has not happened

Going on averages it doesnt seem like they will fold this time either & probably have back up plans

Time will tell.

Edited by John

• Members

Hey John, the problem is that you didn’t say those were predictions. Answering their question with a list of writers gave the impression that those would be the writers during the strike. Just a head’s up.

• Members

Kay Alden, at this point, is retired (I remember reading this somewhere). And it's a shame, because I feel like she's the last one who worked under William J. Bell who could handle a Bell soap at this point.

If they can survive the COVID shutdown (which everyone said would be their death, among other things), I do think they can wave the storm of the strike.

• Members

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Kay Alden was on staff of B&B during the last strike when she chose to go fi-core.  She hasn’t been an active staff member of any writing team for years as she is retired.  So who would expect her to come out of retirement to scab write at this stage of her life?

I love soaps- but I do think the writers should show solidarity with their union and not cross picket lines.

• Members

B&B (or Y&R) doesn't have to be written like a Bell soap.  It just has to be decent.

But, I do agree, @Liberty City: it would be nice to see Kay Alden back in that HW's chair under any circumstances, strike or no strike.  But I also don't blame her one bit if she chose to enjoy her retirement instead.  She's more than earned it.

• Members

Unfortunately it's now COVID on top of the strike that makes me wary. 

I guess one thing in their favor is if streaming continues to crash, they are ready-made programming already on networks (other than DAYS - maybe they can still be moved back).