Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

@YRfan23 I would think a Nick/Sharon week would have all Sharon Case episodes, and not the first two Sharons. We already saw Nick/Sharon 1996 wedding, and Cassie's adoption, so I guess the next Nick/Sharon episodes to show could be Noah's birth and Sharon learning Cassie is her child. I also don't want to see anything from the last 15 years.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really wish they’d show episodes from 1979...I’ve said a thousand times that I think it’s the best year of the show. Oh how I’d love to be able to see the Kay/Derek/Jill/Suzanne saga play out in a two-episode back-to-back showing. I honestly believe they should do a best of the 70’s week and let the fans pick what episodes they want to see by doing a poll. I’d LOVE to see the full episodes also of Kay driving Phillip over the cliff, Jill attempting to attack Kay with a letter opener, Jill falling down the Brooks’ staircase, Jill performing the tracheotomy on Stuart, Nikki killing her father, Suzanne gaslighting Kay, and Kay revealing herself to Derek and Jill in her bedroom after their wedding. There’s so much more but that’s some of the good stuff. 

Do you think if ALL of us contact them individually on some sort of platform, they’ll cave and show them?

• Members

Watching the first couple episodes and having seen other past episodes, I find it interesting that Y&R launched with a solid cast. Most soaps I’ve seen from the beginning started with at least ONE dud, but everyone seems good and I know each character lasted at least a year or two. It’s also interesting that Katherine and Lorie were two of the most popular characters, yet we know both came later. I’d love to see the full first year to get a feel of how the show was before they arrived and then to see how the dynamic shifts when both arrived. It seems like Y&R started strong and didn’t really have to work out the kinks of other soaps. In contrast, it took Bill Bell years to get B&B going. 

• Members

As a longtime fan of William J. Bell, I was eager to see the launch of his new show in 1973. I knew the writing would be good. But besides the writing, I was amazed at everything else too: the cast, the direction, the sets, the BACKGROUND MUSIC...everything. The show clicked right off the bat, and had none of the difficult growing pains that challenge almost all new soap operas.

Of the debut cast, Brenda Dickson seemed to be the greenest at first, but she melded well with her cast mates and didn't exhibit the campiness that she later became known for.

Janice Lynde was not the first actress hired to play Leslie Brooks. The show had originally cast a singer/actress named Mary Grover in the role. But after a few weeks, shortly before the show debuted on television, Bill Bell felt an emergency recast was necessary. Lynde was hired at the last minute and had two weeks' worth of episodes to film in just a few days. That must have been a nightmare, but she pulled it off, and Lynde went on to be mesmerizing in the role.

Mary Grover:

That early cast of Y&R was just...on fire.

• Members

Funny thing though, wasn’t it speculated and said that Bell wasn’t happy with how the first year or so of the show turned out and at one point wanted to cancel it himself?

I know even going back to the first years he and John Conboy were often like oil and water and Bell (having probably picked this up from Irna herself) had no problem calling Conboy every afternoon after the shows had aired ripping him a new one if he felt the material hadn’t translated on the screen in the way he had hoped.