Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't complain on the Y&R repeats chosen but since they have the entire catalogue intact it would have been nice to have neutral themes with say two 70s episodes on Monday, an 80s episode on Tuesday, 90s Wednesday, 2000s Thursday, so on. It took a pandemic for them to open the archives and I still doubt they will have interest in sharing any further. 

• Members

I had my doubts about 1973 by all accounts Bell hated it, the show was said to move at a galacial pace and with the writers strike and Watergate pre-emptions I mostly wrote it off. But seeing episode 2 I am hungry for more.

- How the hell does Brenda saunter into a room wearing a frumpy housecoat and still act sexy, haha

- The Brooks dinner, humour and reality. Chris and Peggy's little tiff is so like real life siblings and the chemistry and the way they all bounce off each other is fantastic

- Solid casting, everyone fits the roles so well. Conboy/Bell did an amazing job

- Editing was good. Didn't feel I missed anything important. Seems they are doing well to trim scenes, instead of removing big chunks. The episodes also flow well as a 1 hour show. Seems they just trimmed the fat, which I am fine with

- It was always said the show was darkly lit, but I had read a couple of soap articles from back in the day that said when Y&R debuted it was more brightly lit, this confirms it. The sets looks great, and love this lighting, not super bright like sitcoms of the 70's, it has some nice tone to it. I wonder when Conboy darkened the show more and how that would look like upscaled

• Members

I also noticed they didn't really do lots of signature close ups compared to other 70's episodes I've seen...I guess it was still being worked out production wise on how the show would stand out differently then the other soaps.

• Members

Yeah I noticed that. Looking at later episodes it seemed to be mostly close ups

Also do you think it is possible CBS sped the episode up very slightly to shorten it so as not to edit it too much. I tried comparing and it seems like they did, the intro is shorter and everyones voice sounds slightly higher pitched. Better way to cut down the time I guess.

• Members

Here are the changes in the pilot I noticed

- The opening cue is re-created by my ears, sounds similar but slightly different

- Time compression??? Maybe some scenes are sped up slightly or the whole show is

- The scene with Sally and Snapper is trimmed slightly as the Y&R theme cue in this scene is shortened 

- We cut from Sally and Snapper right to Pierre's, Pierre's song is cut and we now just see Snapper already there, Brad arriving and Stuart with a different music cue, we briefly see Pierre behind Sally as she looks at Snapper, but if you didn't know any better you would have no idea he was performing. Then we go to Chris and Leslie

- The scene of Chris at the front of the Brooks home is cut and we go right to Chris entering and Leslie's playing is shortened and the commercial break is removed

- Leslie playing 'The Look of Love' is gone and the scene is slightly re-arranged and possibly trimmed

- An 80's cue is used in this scene where there was no music in the original

- The final scene in Pierre's is re-arranged, works though

Any others?

Honestly in the second ep, both the opening and closing credits are gone, which is around 1m30sec and only about 4min total were removed from the ep. My guess we only lost a possible phone call between Chris and Snapper with maybe Jill listening in.

Edited by will81

• Members

I really wish they would do the whole first week, well really, like all of us, I wish they would do every episode, lol. Sony/CBS might not care, but with the care that these episodes were edited, it feels like someone there does. 

ETA: @YRfan23 I know CBS has all access, but here in Australia some of the networks have other digital broadcast channels like Network 7 has 7mate 7Two and so on and use it for reruns and some original programming. Does CBS have other digital channels they could rerun Y&R on? Or is All Access the only other platform? 

Edited by will81

• Members

It would be amazing to get a commercial saying that they will release the first 3 months of the show or something like that!

Please register in order to view this content

We'd probably get the original unedited versions since they are online.

I'm actually not really sure if CBS has other channels they could rerun Y&R on?