Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jeanne was 55 during the facelift storyline. The scene where Liz comments "the doctor took off 10 years" was shown during the 2003 Daytime Emmy broadcast.

I saw that Victor/Nikki reunion scene on YT years ago but had no idea it was from the Katherine facelift reveal episode. Two weeks later was the GOAT wedding. 

So far 2, September 18, 1987 (rebroadcast May 5) and today.  I don't recall any TL scenes in the episodes of April 13, 1984 (rebroadcast April 3), November 2, 1981 (rebroadcast May 4), July 18, 1986 (rebroadcast June 8), June 27, 1984 (rebroadcast June 22).

I just realized that this month marks 40 years since Terry Lester started on Y&R.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Still not sure how this was a "by popular demand" episode, as most of it dealt with Victor the hothead, mad his pecker was malfunctioning...  Would Nikki still vow to stay with him if he weren't Mr. rich and powerful?

I saw this one when it first aired.  It was pretty memorable on the Kay / Liz scenes, but I've never once had a feeling I would want to see it again.  Lol

Being in my 50's, I'm shocked by this.  I thought she was way older than that at the time.

Edited by trainman

• Members

Jeanne’s voice also changed so much from her early days. Her voice was sooo deep, and the pitch went up considerably, likely because of the smoking? But even her cadences changed a lot. I suppose some of that was Katherine becoming a lighter character.

• Members

Jeanne was 45 when she started on Y&R. 1970s/1980s styling maybe is what made her look older than what we're used to seeing 45-55 year olds look like in 2020. As we all know, Jeanne also had substance abuse issues and she was a smoker for many years so that affected her looks. I also think she got alot of sun exposure over the years.

Our resident surgery expert @DaytimeFan might weigh in later.

• Members

I read Jeanne's memoir a few years back... don't remember all the details, but I remember her saying the cameras filmed the unwrapping of the bandages, but no one could know for sure what her face would look like.  If there were complications when the bandages first came off, the producers planned to film her later once things were stabilized, and then pretend like this was the initial unwrapping of the bandages.  But that was not necessary bc everything went perfectly the first go-round.

• Members

Wow, thanks for that info. This really was a pioneering moment. About a decade earlier, AMC wrote in a facelift for Margo Flax. I’m still not 100% sure on whether or not actress Eileen Letchworth also had the surgery in real life.

It doesn’t surprise me at all that this was a “fan pick” bc this has been one of the most consistently reminisced stories in all the years that I’ve followed soaps. I’m only surprised that it wasn’t on during Katherine week (bc even those eps weren’t completely focused on her).

• Members

I'm surprised they went back to 1973. I had seen Episode # 1 many times before, but # 2 was pleasant surprise. It was strange hearing Liz encourage Snapper to dig himself out of the poor house by getting to know Chris. It was a bit out of character from the Liz we are use to seeing. The Brooks dinner scene was cute. The kitchen was fitting for an older house that had been updated for the 70's with it's harvest gold appliances and wallpaper. Jennifer looked really regal while "fixing supper" Peggy was funny and cute. I wish the show had done more with her in the later years. I hope they show more 70's classics.

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

Jeanne would have turned 56 in 1984 (she was born in 1928).

Jeanne looked far beyond her years and could have passed for 70+ when this was filmed.

Lots of factors going on.

Styling is a huge issue (think of how Jane Wyman looked in Falcon Crest) and it influences our perception, visually.

There is also the cultural perception. In the 1980s, people in their 50s were considered 'old.' You figure the Golden Girls were all supposed to be in their 50s throughout the run of the series but would any of us think that Elizabeth Hurley was Golden Girls when she was in The Royals? Our perception of age has changed over time and much of the negative thinking around it has moved on to a more positive position.

Nevertheless, Jeanne looked very rough for her age (only 5 years older than Joan Collins) and so much of that comes down to her sun damage, smoking, and alcohol. The facelift can only do so much when the skin is as damaged as hers was. You can see in the facelift footage that the lines around her mouth were intense. I also wouldn't say Jeanne got great mileage out of the facelift. Jeanne ended up having a deep chemical peel years later, which really did improve her skin. She did tweaks over the years and had a lower facelift right around 2007.

As an aside, the doctor who actually did Jeanne's facelift was Victoria Principal's former husband, Dr. Harry Glassman. It's his hands that undid the bandages while the actor playing her doctor spoke.