Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always found Jess Walton a bit difficult to take as Jill - there’s just nothing lighthearted about her, even when she’s playing a scene that’s supposed to be funny. She had no chemistry with Jerry Douglas (John). And can someone explain to me how Jill and John wound up remarrying after a super-bitter divorce that involved blackmail?

• Members

I for one loved the 1973 episodes. A few people on other message boards and facebook were pissing and moaning about wanting the current show back on instead of sitting through reruns and characters they don't know or care about. I wish there was a streaming channel to watch Y&R from the beginning. 

• Members

I really want those people to STFU and get out of the way. What exactly would they have preferred to air instead, given the situation? These people also would not have been pleased with just picking a time period and running episodes in order (and I don't think we would have either - I doubt they would have went far back for that).

Y&R has never been "my" soap, but it's the first soap I ever remember watching, and it's ingrained into so much of my greatest family memories, and it's been amazing to watch so many classic episodes. I feel like I know more about the show than I ever did before. I'll always be thankful for these reruns getting us through quarantine. The sad thing is that GH has never been "my" soap either, and I have literally no personal connection to it whatsoever, and I would have loved an opportunity to get closer to it, but...well...lol

• Members

I think Sony could monetize those old episodes, but my guess is that CBS is a blocker. They may not want Sony to stream older episodes because it would pull some people away from watching newer episodes. Very possible they have exclusive rights built into their deal with Sony. The Bob Barker-era “Price is Right” isn’t rerun for the same reason.

• Members

Same. It is a wonderful, rich rolling history lesson and I am in no hurry for them to resume production of the current show, which lacks all of the very, very specific and unique identity and character I see in the Y&R of the past, whether it's in the 70s, 80s or 90s (or even some of the 2000s). It always felt very different from my ABC soaps whenever I glimpsed it as a kid, and now I know why: It was a singular vision and style. I knew that before, but seeing it daily is a much deeper understanding. It's fascinating to watch and experience. Can anyone point to anything in 2020 Y&R that doesn't feel like a weak, generic knockoff of an ABC soap in its lesser years?

Edited by Vee